PDA

View Full Version : Metal work an fabrication questions

rich a
14-06-15, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone I've been looking for a bodyshop for the work on my car and have been given a few different ways / opinions on how it should be done

the work is as follows/

both rear quarters
both sills
rear panel
splash guards
inner rear arch repairs
Other little bits

my view is where possible panels an repairs should be butt welded with the aim of the least filler used the better. But some places have said overlap or joggle it an to be honest I'm not sure what to believe

opinions or advice or links to useful info really appreciated

cheers rich

meritlover
14-06-15, 08:34 PM
Butt weld. But it takes so long to get right that body shops will just want to joggle, skim and get it out the door. Iam sure theyre capable of doing it properly but the hours it would take would make the quote astronomical.
The rear qtrs are the ony places from your list that this would be applicable anyway.

rich a
14-06-15, 08:38 PM
Cheers merit that seems to be the case. Is joggling a bodge way of doing it or is there a proper way that is acceptable ?

dgbnova#1
14-06-15, 09:31 PM
Not a bodge just it's easyer to lay the weld down but I fail to see we're they can anyway unless there repairing the quarters

Benn
16-06-15, 12:14 PM
Hang on.

Doing a jogged/edged weld isnt a bodge at all. In fact doing it that way you'll get less warping that is you butt weld it. So you'll get less filling.
You just need to make sure the rear joint is then sealed in.

I'm sure it's a stronger join too.

ben doodar
16-06-15, 12:30 PM
Hang on.

Doing a jogged/edged weld isnt a bodge at all. In fact doing it that way you'll get less warping that is you butt weld it. So you'll get less filling.
You just need to make sure the rear joint is then sealed in.

I'm sure it's a stronger join too.

I'd much rather joggle the edge than butt weld 2 panels together.