PDA

View Full Version : Smokey good times

Scottcooper85
08-06-15, 07:55 PM
Okay I'm no engine builder but I know enough to get me by, I just fitted a cylinder head to my xe with new guides, seals, lifters, cams etc and took it for a test run tonight.
Much to my frustration it's still putting a little blue smoke out when I boot it and a fair bit when I let off at high rpm. Should I assume the rings are getting worn? I pressure tested the cylinders last week and by turning them over with 3 bursts of the starter each they all in turn made 180psi.
if people opinions are that the rings are going how long will it last?

cheers Scott

Andy
08-06-15, 09:46 PM
If its smoking on the overrun/when you let off its either stem seals guides or valve stems themselves

Scottcooper85
08-06-15, 09:54 PM
Their all brand new though? It's smoking similar to before the head was built and I've even swapped it for a different head.
its smoking under acceleration too but only when you get to high end rpm.

House
15-06-15, 07:02 PM
Mine is a bit smokey Joe, still pulls and drives ok.

smoke on power only when first pressing the throttle, will only smoke on over run when blipping the throttle to change down.

Also occasionally smokes on idle at traffic lights. Mine is only cylinder 1 that's knackered though as I have had the plugs out and only number 1 is oily!!

Scottcooper85
15-06-15, 07:41 PM
Mine is a bit smokey Joe, still pulls and drives ok.

smoke on power only when first pressing the throttle, will only smoke on over run when blipping the throttle to change down.

Also occasionally smokes on idle at traffic lights. Mine is only cylinder 1 that's knackered though as I have had the plugs out and only number 1 is oily!!

think mine might be the same mate, quite positive the oil seal on one of the rings is blowing now. Going to run it to billing and then ripon racecourse on 30th aug and after that the motors getting pulled.