View Full Version : Rear drum advice

Jonesfach
08-06-15, 07:53 PM
Passenger side rear drum lacking stopping power compared to drivers side.

i have handbrake set to 7 notches full on hard. Which I have always thought the optimum setting!

the drivers side drum just catches when no foot brake applied. Full on foot brake I can just about turn her with long bar...good!

passenger side was catching a little bit more when no foot brake applied. Have adjusted self adjuster up so drum just goes on and now I can just turn it by hand. Now when foot brake is applied, same pressure, I can just turn her with the long bar. There is about a quarter of the revolution where it spins pretty free?

my problem is really why by hand is it so tight?? Compared with drivers side? Bound to get hot I am thinking??

the shoes and drums have been on a while but have not done much miles..they all look ok

any advice welcome. Am a little puzzled of where to go next?

Have bled led the system to check and defiantly no air in pipes.

Jonesfach
09-06-15, 11:39 AM
Managed to faff about with it and get it through the MOT test.

going to change the wheel bearing and try again at my leisure.

torquey
09-06-15, 01:15 PM
Wheel bearing sounds like it could be too tight. Adjust it and see if it makes any difference.

Jonesfach
09-06-15, 02:09 PM
Wheel bearing sounds like it could be too tight. Adjust it and see if it makes any difference.

Yes did that and didn't make much difference. But am going to put a new one in anyway just in case it's a bit iffy.

the bearing was not that old but it's worth ruling out. At least I got her through the MOT retest. So pressure is off a little.

just got to get the plaster off my left wrist before any more works. Not easy working one handed...

Novasport
09-06-15, 08:52 PM
Is the wheel cylinder OK and not siezed?

brook_nova
09-06-15, 10:04 PM
Did you fit the brake shoes yourself

Jonesfach
09-06-15, 10:08 PM
Is the wheel cylinder OK and not siezed?
thats working fine. Loads of movement.

Jonesfach
09-06-15, 10:12 PM
Did you fit the brake shoes yourself

They been on the car a while but look ok, a little shiny but have roughed them up. I actually had a professional fit them.

the self adjuster is working fine too.

What I don't get is you can back off the adjuster and there is still a spot where it is hard to turn. That's why I think it could be the wheel bearing???

Novasport
09-06-15, 10:14 PM
Are the shoes centralised? They move around on the back plate so will catch if out of line.

brook_nova
09-06-15, 10:17 PM
On some cars out of the 2 brake shoes you get a primary shoe which when put side by side with the other will look thinner as if it's been used that one needs to be closest to the front as that can give the problem like what you have but in not 100% if your will have that set up

Jonesfach
09-06-15, 10:19 PM
Are the shoes centralised? They move around on the back plate so will catch if out of line.
Yes they are central on the back plate.

Jonesfach
09-06-15, 10:20 PM
On some cars out of the 2 brake shoes you get a primary shoe which when put side by side with the other will look thinner as if it's been used that one needs to be closest to the front as that can give the problem like what you have but in not 100% if your will have that set up

The shoes are both different as one connects with the handbrake, so as far as I know they can't be fitted the wrong way around?

brook_nova
09-06-15, 10:23 PM
The handbrake arm connector slots in to the shoe I'm pretty sure it can go in either which allowed people to fit the shoes wrong ..... Just a thought lol

Jonesfach
09-06-15, 10:27 PM
The handbrake arm connector slots in to the shoe I'm pretty sure it can go in either which allowed people to fit the shoes wrong ..... Just a thought lol
Definitely. Thanks!
will take a pic tomorrow and post it up.

Jonesfach
10-06-15, 12:23 PM
Just changed the wheel bearing and it's still the same. My conclusion is that either the drum is slightly off centre or the stub axle is off centre.
Have backed off the brake adjuster a touch and as before the wheel goes round freely for 3/4 of a Rev and goes tight on the other 1/4.
they were after market drums fitted so am thinking it's them.
could of course be the shoes being poor quality...
new shoes on the back next year I think for the MOT and see if I can set them up ok.
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w599/jonesfach/d6c665fd4b3dfa49875b1909b01b3fd5_zpspkicz9ad.jpg
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w599/jonesfach/3296475d46e6c438cb6e1028aab3b031_zpsbtb3hnog.jpg

mowgli
10-06-15, 08:30 PM
it might just be me, but those linings look very thick

EwanG
10-06-15, 08:55 PM
Could you not rub chalk on the shoes or inside the drum to see where it's catching?

Jonesfach
10-06-15, 09:18 PM
Could you not rub chalk on the shoes or inside the drum to see where it's catching?

Thats a good idea. Hadn't thought of that one...thanks

could use masking tape......have been for a run in her today and checked if it spun easily after. Did seem a bit better...yet hub was quite warm. Not mega hot but warm if you know what I mean. New bearing needs a slight nip also...

Jonesfach
10-06-15, 09:20 PM
it might just be me, but those linings look very thick
they are fairly new in mileage, maybe 8k miles, but are about 15 years old..

Alan lig
11-06-15, 05:20 AM
Looking at the picture it looks like your hand brake arm is quite a bit away from its stop, you need to back off the cable adjustment then adjust up the shoes at the self adjuster till the drum starts to scuff then do the cable

Jonesfach
11-06-15, 09:05 AM
Looking at the picture it looks like your hand brake arm is quite a bit away from its stop, you need to back off the cable adjustment then adjust up the shoes at the self adjuster till the drum starts to scuff then do the cable
Thanks that's certainly worth a try. Hadn't thought to do that..actually that is a very good idea thinking about it.