PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 f10 clutch problems

mk3 vinny
07-06-15, 02:43 PM
Hi there I have fitted a replacement clutch kit to my car now even with the clutch pedal fully adjusted on the box it wont allow me to put the car in gear when it is running. however when it is switched off the car will go in gear fine.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/mk3vinny/nova%2013sr/416_zpsiihe42oz.jpg

There was nothing wrong with the clutch but the engine was out so thought it was a good time to do it.

I cant work out what is wrong so any help is much appreciated.

mk3 vinny
08-06-15, 06:26 PM
I have had another look yesterday and it still has me baffled what the issue is. The pressure plate dose move and you can see it relice from the clutch plate so I can't work out what the issue is. Please can someone give me an idea to what it could be

Novasport
08-06-15, 10:50 PM
Is the friction plate in the correct way?

mk3 vinny
08-06-15, 11:45 PM
Is the friction plate in the correct way?

Hi Novasport thanks you for your reply yes the friction plate is in the correct way I have been told to replace the clutch cable so as its cheep enough i'm going to do that. However I will pull the shaft out the box and drop the clutch out to see it is all correct for the sake of a 30+ min job.

Novasport
09-06-15, 02:11 PM
Is the cable adjusted correctly?

mk3 vinny
09-06-15, 07:24 PM
It was half way adjusted with the old clutch but now it is fully adjusted in to the fork arm no more adjustment left. that's why I cant understand it surely I should have to slacken it off not tighten it up.

Novasport
09-06-15, 08:48 PM
Does it select any gear or is it just first? Have you adjusted the cable correctly? Haynes states the pedal should have a stroke of 124 to 131mm. Does the vehicle take up drive(As gear selection is not poss with engine running, select gear before starting with clutch depressed)?

Novasport
09-06-15, 08:50 PM
What was the original issue to require the replacement of the clutch?

mk3 vinny
09-06-15, 09:26 PM
No it wont select any gear, there is only one way to adjust the cable from what i can see that is the black half moon nut that sits in the fork arm. the pedal sits level with the rest of the pedals. I have just tryed the car in gear yes the car will start but trys to pull forward in first then cuts out after a few seconds.

Novasport
09-06-15, 09:43 PM
So the clutch disengages but the engine is still driving the transmission when in gear. Sounds like the spigot bearing in the crankshaft that the input shat sits in could be siezed or collapsed but dont know if it could be bad enough to allow drive. Did the input shaft slide in and out easily enough?

mk3 vinny
09-06-15, 09:48 PM
I didn't remove the shaft I had the engine out and just replaced it as I was replacing old for new on most other parts so that was one of them. So I just left the box in the car and slid the engine back in to the box onto the shaft. To be honest I only found out you can pull the shaft last week lol the Box and clutch were strong before it was all removed

mk3 vinny
09-06-15, 10:05 PM
the engine has had new starter, core plugs, oil pump, water pump, new gaskets, repaint, clutch, oil pressure sender, spark plugs, rotor arm, etc full de grease inside and out before rebuild the reason it was taken out was due to a core plug leaking so while it was out decided to do a proper job on it. ( proper job a silly clutch as me beat lol.)

Novasport
09-06-15, 10:12 PM
Could have damaged the spigot bearing on installation or rebuild. Try pulling the shaft in and out to see if it is free.
Also try pushing the car in gear with the clutch pedal pressed down to see if the box turns the engine.

mk3 vinny
09-06-15, 10:13 PM
I will try that tomorrow thank you for your time.

Jonesfach
09-06-15, 10:15 PM
Is the shaft engaged through the clutch correctly.

I remember years ago refitting my engine to the box, which was sitting in the car, was a nightmare. Took ages to get it lined up right.

mk3 vinny
09-06-15, 10:18 PM
I would guess so the engine just popped straight in no big issues. but that could be a thing to check for

garyc
10-06-15, 06:42 PM
I had the same, was the friction plate was in the wrong way around

Royston
10-06-15, 07:47 PM
I have just built and engine for my sport for billing, I damaged the spigot bearing when I removed the box, if you have to take the box out again I wold check it, it is a needle roller bearing.

I'm not sure you can put the plate in the wrong way round, mine didn't sit right when I was playing before refitting the flywheel, plate and cover

Can you see the fingers move when you depress the clutch?

mk3 vinny
10-06-15, 07:52 PM
I will pull the shaft and check the plate and bearing. Yes the fingers move when you press the clutch

mk3 vinny
13-06-15, 09:25 PM
all sorted now cheers lads it was my fault I had put the friction plate in the wrong way don't ask me how I done that.

Novasport
13-06-15, 09:28 PM
Glad you got it sorted.