PDA

View Full Version : CV joints

Iain
04-06-15, 02:22 PM
What CV joints have people had success with?

I'm using J&R ones and thinking they might not be the best idea. Not that old and already have rotational play in.... GKN brand on EuroCarparts any good?

I have plenty of play in my shafts, they're only a few hundred miles old and I'm pondering if it's the CVs now rather than the shafts... When reversing yesterday I heard a clatter when I raised the clutch, as if loads of slop was being taken up. The wheels can spin a fair amount before all the play is taken up.

BRoadGhost
04-06-15, 08:00 PM
Shafts will have zero play being splined; CVs you can expect a little movement without getting upset and the most play will come from the gearbox itself.

That said I've not had clatter; you're on spur gears though?

Andy
04-06-15, 09:30 PM
cv's have play.This is not cv's related problem.It is gearbox related imo

Novasport
04-06-15, 10:12 PM
Are the diff bearings tensioned correctly? Did you fit new bearings when you had the diff out?

Rob H
04-06-15, 10:20 PM
Im running 300+bhp with j&r cv's inner and outter with no issues. I dont do that many miles, prob only 2k max since I refreshed them all but I also don't tend to **** about while driving it, lots of hard launches and pulls through the gears etc, although I do always rev match when cogging down. I did change 1 but was in good nick when removed and turned out to be a bearing knocking not the cv.

Iain
04-06-15, 10:51 PM
Andy wasn't even thinking of the shifter movement this time actually.

Diff bearings might be worth checking actually.

I've got a video to show the play in my wheel. And also a video showing a massive amount of play on the splines themselves. That's the second pair of shafts that has done that. Fooks sake.

BRoad what's spur gears?

Iain
04-06-15, 10:52 PM
Wheel without even moving diff

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq9gns6EnGc

Movement on splines

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHsHu0WsCc

Rob H
04-06-15, 11:04 PM
Dunno if it's just my phone been **** but it's saying those videos are private.

Iain
04-06-15, 11:07 PM
Fixed sorry

Benn
05-06-15, 11:00 AM
First vid is normal, well mines the same.

Second vid, hhmm dont think mine do that...

Iain
05-06-15, 11:01 AM
So your wheel has that much movement without the inner CV even moving the diff?

Benn
05-06-15, 11:02 AM
Yeah sure it does. Sure all of them do.... *making me doubt myself tho*

Rob H
05-06-15, 01:48 PM
Yyeah to much movement on those splines, should be a tight fit into the cv joint.

Iain
05-06-15, 01:59 PM
Yep this is the second set that's done it to me though... Could have come from same source and been improperly machined though (e.g. too soft).

Rob H
05-06-15, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the wheel should move that much, it's like if you park on a hill in gear without handbrake it will always roll a tiny amount till the next tooth stops it.

Iain
05-06-15, 02:59 PM
Always thought that was a bit of slack in the box etc though not CVs. As you say it shouldn't have that much spline play anyway. I'll weld the CVs to the shafts tbh sick of them now

Iain
08-06-15, 04:41 PM
Dug out my old equal shafts that had exactly the same problem and welded the CVs to the shafts, move on the splines now ya buggers lol Unfortunately there's a bit of slop in the CVs itself so still a bit of movement lol

BRoadGhost
08-06-15, 08:58 PM
MMM there shouldn't be any play splines into CV; that's a sign of wear. Best get looking for another shaft & CV for when / if your welded solution dies

Iain
08-06-15, 09:20 PM
Yep will be sorting some out. I can only assume they need heat treating after machining and that hasn't happened.

BRoadGhost
09-06-15, 10:34 PM
Yeah shafts have to be hardened; are you on equal length ones?

Iain
10-06-15, 12:17 PM
Welded bodge shafts are equals with worn splines

Ones I've just took off were non equal ones I got second hand, which have worn the splines too

Hopefully my good buddy off here can machine up some new shafts soon and I'll make sure they get properly hardened before use, fit some good quality CVs and never have to worry again.

Benn
10-06-15, 12:28 PM
I remember filling the splines on a set of shafts i had to clean the edges up. As it looked liked it had been dragged along the floor...

BRoadGhost
12-06-15, 09:55 AM
Never worry again is drilled shafts too imo

Iain
12-06-15, 09:58 AM
Drilled how? I've seen them dimpled in the ends slightly but never drilled deep or all the way through?

BRoadGhost
12-06-15, 04:10 PM
Gun drilling is the engineering term. Since failure occurs from the very center; drilling throughout increases the surface area of the weakest point thus making it stronger.

Plus the reduction of rotational mass is always nice.

Iain
12-06-15, 04:36 PM
Cool heard of that actually. I'd be happy of the splines just didn't eat themselves as a priority!