PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding slight mod

ShawnAzzopardi
04-06-15, 06:36 AM
I bought a tow strap for my Nova to replace the front tow hook. Is it difficult/irritating to take out the tow hook and replace it with the strap? Do all I need to do is take off the front bumper?

turbojolt
04-06-15, 07:06 AM
The tow eye is welded into the crossmember

ShawnAzzopardi
04-06-15, 07:34 AM
The tow eye is welded into the crossmember
Ah, so it needs a bit more work. Couldn't I grind that off and weld/bolt in the strap?

Iain
04-06-15, 08:23 AM
As TJ says the hook is welded within the chassis leg on the crossmember area.

You might find some spot welds underneath to drill off to remove hole, otherwise it'll be a nightmare to fully remove. You could cut it flush with the chassis leg but it won't leave you a nice area for bolting through.

I fitted one by using a large bolt and washers (M10/M12 bolt, the washers were ones off front tiebar bushes, the huge curved ones) and clamped it in tight into the original tow hook. Never moved and towed OK on it, but be warned you can't then use a fixed car to tow your Nova to safety.

ShawnAzzopardi
04-06-15, 08:28 AM
As TJ says the hook is welded within the chassis leg on the crossmember area.

You might find some spot welds underneath to drill off to remove hole, otherwise it'll be a nightmare to fully remove. You could cut it flush with the chassis leg but it won't leave you a nice area for bolting through.

I fitted one by using a large bolt and washers (M10/M12 bolt, the washers were ones off front tiebar bushes, the huge curved ones) and clamped it in tight into the original tow hook. Never moved and towed OK on it, but be warned you can't then use a fixed car to tow your Nova to safety.

That's okay, I can't really drive into ditches over here, only into walls. I'd bolt it to the original tow hook, but the tow strap is about 11 inches long, and it would look strange. I'll see what can be done though. Maybe I'll cut off the front of the tow hook (the part that sticks out the bumper) and weld the tow strap onto that.

Iain
04-06-15, 08:30 AM
There might be space to attack it from underneath, in which case you could bolt the tow strap behind the original hook and have both, if it's that long.

ShawnAzzopardi
04-06-15, 08:32 AM
There might be space to attack it from underneath, in which case you could bolt the tow strap behind the original hook and have both, if it's that long.
That's a good idea.
I might just take it to someone to do it for me over the summer, seeing as I have no tools or welding machines.
Thanks for the input though.
Also reply to my PM please

ShawnAzzopardi
04-06-15, 08:46 AM
balls, I also just thought of it. I'd have to remove the rad, wouldn't I?

Iain
04-06-15, 09:15 AM
Nah radiator is in the middle of the 'hole' between the crossmember and slam panel, this pokes out the chassis leg which runs up the cambelt side of the engine bay

If you remove the bumper and poke it in you can probably drill and bolt it in with no special tools

Not replying to your PM lol:p

ShawnAzzopardi
04-06-15, 09:21 AM
Nah radiator is in the middle of the 'hole' between the crossmember and slam panel, this pokes out the chassis leg which runs up the cambelt side of the engine bay

If you remove the bumper and poke it in you can probably drill and bolt it in with no special tools

Not replying to your PM lol:p
It's in such a weird place. Thanks for the input though.
And do it god damn it.
I want to buy you a pint as thanks.

Iain
04-06-15, 09:37 AM
Free accommodation and Nova car hire for a week in Malta on holiday will do lol

marc69
04-06-15, 09:46 AM
Someone did this to a Nova I had, it was rubbish, firstly it looked very chavvy and when the car was towed it snapped.

Eventually the car was towed by attaching a tow rope to the antiroll bar, not an ideal way to tow a Nova but once I got home, I undid the 8 bolts, removed the arb, checked everything suspension wise looked fine and refitted the arb.

Personally I would never remove the tow eye, but each to their own lol

ShawnAzzopardi
04-06-15, 03:02 PM
Someone did this to a Nova I had, it was rubbish, firstly it looked very chavvy and when the car was towed it snapped.

Eventually the car was towed by attaching a tow rope to the antiroll bar, not an ideal way to tow a Nova but once I got home, I undid the 8 bolts, removed the arb, checked everything suspension wise looked fine and refitted the arb.

Personally I would never remove the tow eye, but each to their own lol
My car will never be towed. I'm doing it more so for appearance, rather than function. Kinda going for a blue/yellow/white/black build. Yellow towstrap would look pretty nice, but I doubt it'll snap, as it is rated for 5T.

ShawnAzzopardi
04-06-15, 03:02 PM
Free accommodation and Nova car hire for a week in Malta on holiday will do lol
If I had a place to keep you, you'd be more than welcome. And as a car hire, I'd be your chauffeur in my 1.7L TD Nova