PDA

View Full Version : 1600 8v, replace piston rings or not?

paul080803
28-05-15, 09:10 PM
I have just purchased a 1600 8v for the nova. (16sv block, e16se head and bike carbs)

previous owner advised it smoked under acceleration and used about a litre of oil every 3000 miles

i stripped it expecting it to need new piston rings but there was no bore wear, honing marks still clearly visible and the rings look in perfect working order not seized or broken etc.

i am not sure if I should replace them or not?

i will be doing valve stem seals

Andy
28-05-15, 09:21 PM
Is the oil control ring ok? They sometimes gunk up and let oil seep past.
also valve stem oil seals cause smoking.
while its in bits it may aswell be done but make sure you measure everything properly to make sure its still within tolerance.

paul080803
28-05-15, 10:02 PM
Andy, think the oil control ring is ok. Not removed from the pistons, or cleaned anything yet just stripped it down.

I think I am just going to clean it all up, measure it and then decide. But probably won't do the rings as the bottom end looks great and don't want to start messing around for the sake of it.

conza123
28-05-15, 11:13 PM
My 1300 bores where fine just the edge of the ring had rounded off,

i would just replace them while it's already apart and put new shells in and gaskets/seal ;)

paul080803
28-05-15, 11:58 PM
Ok I will put a set of rings in, didn't consider the rings themselves may have just worn.

Do I need to re-hone even if can still see the old honing marks?

mowgli
29-05-15, 12:14 AM
as has been previously said.... MEASURE the bores. you might need to buy over size rings & file them down to suit. its not a bad job, just fiddly... also definitely do the stem seals, but check for guide wear as well... then make sure the breathers are clean & working.

Will F
29-05-15, 09:18 AM
As said, bores may be slightly out of shape - but def worth fitting new rings for peace of mind.