PDA

View Full Version : Nova, c16xe misfire.. Help.

boyd_1989
28-05-15, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone need some help with my nova..
started with loss of power low down in revs so I thought misfire, checked everything I thought it could be and changed it all and still same problem. It's getting fuel air spark but still just doesn't like it.. You could actually take off the lead from cylinder 2 and it wouldn't affect it at all.. But all was fine high up in the revs over 4k, but just didn't pull as it should.
I couldn't find the problem so had to keep driving it, now after another few days it's gotten really bad popping banging and everything and seems to be running on 3 all the time now.
When I Rev it up from under the bonnet, the induction noise seems to be so much louder than it used to be, don't understand why that would get louder?

Anyway a if anyone knows what's wrong please let me know.. I've had the engine in there for over 5 years now and never had a problem like this before.. It has been ragged everyday of its life though! Haha! But it's always loved it!

Any info would be good!
Thanks.
Craig.

meritlover
28-05-15, 03:22 PM
Do a compression test. Sounds like the engine is rooted.

Southie
28-05-15, 03:35 PM
As well as doing the above:

Have you another HT lead to try, also check your plugs incase the plug on number 2 has a crack or disintigrated.

Also check your timing hasn't slipped and check the cambelt hasn't gone slack.

boyd_1989
28-05-15, 04:01 PM
Thanks.. I have tried different coil pack and leads already and also new spark plugs, it didn't make a difference.. No faults have come up but I started having a play with some sensors, unplugging / plugging back in.. The cam sensor when I unplugged it, it changed nothing so I thought possibly could be that but I replaced it with another used one I had but still made no difference ( new one could be knackered aswell though). And yeah the compression test was my next move, also checking the timing. Any other ideas would be helpful.. Will update if I find out anything. But I may not be able to do anything until tomorrow. Cheers for replies :).

meritlover
28-05-15, 04:16 PM
if you have lost one cylinder, changing components which are common to the other 3 will not make a blind bit of difference.

boyd_1989
28-05-15, 04:39 PM
I was expecting it to be something as simple as that though, like coil pack spark plug or a lead..that's why I changed them. But never helped at all.. I really don't think the engines knackered, I think more of a timing problem. That's what I hope anyway. If that's the case.. Is it possible the bottom pulley has moved? You know the problem with the thing that locates the pulley (sorry I forgot what it's called!).

meritlover
28-05-15, 05:02 PM
You seem to know a lot more about this than me. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Andy
28-05-15, 05:08 PM
You are urinating into a hurricane throwing parts at it and guessing.
you need to do a compression test before you start anything.

boyd_1989
28-05-15, 05:14 PM
No I've not spent any money on it yet.. The parts I changed were spares. But yes I will be doing compression test either later tonight or tomorrow.
And lol merit.. Doesn't matter how much you know, all the help is appreciated :).
But yeah any other ideas would be great! But definitely compression test will be done by tomorrow. Any ideas what it should be ? I know it'll be different as it's an old engine but a rough idea.

Andy
28-05-15, 05:22 PM
Its not so much what it is but the difference between them

boyd_1989
28-05-15, 05:30 PM
Yeah I know mate, I just wondered what it should be at anyway.

boyd_1989
28-05-15, 07:27 PM
Compression test done.. 1 and 4 were basically the same.. 2 and 3 was no compression at all!
Whats the problem then? Piston rings? I'm guessing it is but yet it doesn't actually smoke a lot.. :/.
I have spare Pistons I was going to change all 4 and hopefully it'll be alright.. Or is it possible the bores will be knackered? Obviously I won't know till I strip it and look but yeah any more info would be great!
Thanks to all for your help!

Southie
28-05-15, 07:45 PM
Sounds like the head gaskets gone between 2 and 3.

Rob H
28-05-15, 08:55 PM
I'm with southie, sounds like hg failure. Did you let it get real warm? stuck in bad traffic or turned it straight off after one of those infamous raggings you talk of lol.

Andy
28-05-15, 09:23 PM
No compression at all could be hole in piston valve snapped etc
Either way its head off

Andy
28-05-15, 09:29 PM
Lol no compression at all indicates something a bit more serious than a head gasket
even with no gasket at all you would still get a reading of some sort lol

boyd_1989
28-05-15, 10:12 PM
Haha! No it's not head gasket, shouldn't be anyway! It had been smoking for quite some time now, not majorly but I always expected rings? As last year head gasket did go but I rebuilt head and sorted all that out. Was perfect after that up until a week ago. And no I never turn the car off straight after a ragging haha plus I always make sure it was cool enough. For s few months now it's been using more oil than it normally would do I'm guessing that's where the problem got worse.

boyd_1989
28-05-15, 10:25 PM
I got some Pistons from a decent x16xe engine I split a couple years ago so gonna stick them in and hope for the best lol. Obviously gonna inspect everything else while I'm at it though. But hopefully I can save the engine, although it was running with this problem it actually didn't sound too bad until you put some throttle on.
Once again, thanks for all the comments! Once it's all stripped I'll try get some pictures up of the condition of Pistons!

Andy
28-05-15, 10:27 PM
I look forward to destruction pics lol

Will F
29-05-15, 09:21 AM
2 melted pistons - yay! I would get a second hand engine tbh

boyd_1989
29-05-15, 04:43 PM
Haha I can't wait to start stripping it.. See the damage I've done.
Yeah I probably will be needing another engine bit as I've got the parts here I may aswell give it a shot as it won't cost me anything then. But if doesn't turn out as I'd like it to then it'll be another engine being put in.

Southie
29-05-15, 09:28 PM
Haha I can't wait to start stripping it.. See the damage I've done.
Yeah I probably will be needing another engine bit as I've got the parts here I may aswell give it a shot as it won't cost me anything then. But if doesn't turn out as I'd like it to then it'll be another engine being put in.
I once had a vernier pulley snap on me on a c16xe, not pretty lol

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/MINE/pistonmeltdown.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/SOUTHIE01/media/MINE/pistonmeltdown.jpg.html)

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/MINE/valvemeltdown.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/SOUTHIE01/media/MINE/valvemeltdown.jpg.html)

boyd_1989
14-06-15, 07:12 PM
F*ck!!! That looks nice! Haha! I still haven't stripped it down yet so don't have any pictures just yet.. Will be doing it this week hopefully though.

Jonesfach
14-06-15, 10:54 PM
OMG:cry:

boyd_1989
08-07-15, 02:18 PM
Late update..
Ive just took the head off to inspect, whoever said it could be head gasket gone between 2-3 you were right! I can't believe it!

So so what can cause this to happen, is this what happens when you buy cheap head gaskets from Ebay? Lol.

Southie
08-07-15, 05:20 PM
Late update..
Ive just took the head off to inspect, whoever said it could be head gasket gone between 2-3 you were right! I can't believe it!

So so what can cause this to happen, is this what happens when you buy cheap head gaskets from Ebay? Lol.
That would have been me ;)
I only ever buy GM head gaskets.

boyd_1989
09-07-15, 12:26 PM
That would have been me ;)
I only ever buy GM head gaskets.

Thought it was you! Haha!
Yeah I bought off eBay thought nothing of it.. 7 months later it dies!
So you suggest getting one from Vauxhall? They want about £70 for one though :/ as they have to get it from Germany!
or are there any other places I could get cheaper than going straight to Vauxhall?

Southie
09-07-15, 04:27 PM
Thought it was you! Haha!
Yeah I bought off eBay thought nothing of it.. 7 months later it dies!
So you suggest getting one from Vauxhall? They want about £70 for one though :/ as they have to get it from Germany!
or are there any other places I could get cheaper than going straight to Vauxhall?
Give Benn a PM, he works at a motor factors if you don't want to pay full wack.

The reason I got full GM was I knew a lad who worked a vauxhall at the time who got me trade discounts on loads of other bits when I had to get a rebuild done.

boyd_1989
16-07-15, 07:35 PM
As I'm not working at the moment, ( had recent operation on my knee) I can't afford to go all out on gm parts so I've bought one from Ebay again but not from the last seller as that was useless lol. I'm finding it hard to find new head bolts though.. Any links would be much appreciated! Vauxhall want £4.50 plus vat each I think.. I can probably afford about £20-25 on them or would you say wait and save bit more and go Vauxhall?
Thanks!

Andy
16-07-15, 08:35 PM
Payen are fine.any motor factors stock them.same as the gasket.

Will F
17-07-15, 08:31 AM
Use AutoVaux - they supply GM parts at trade prices (ish)

boyd_1989
17-07-15, 11:55 PM
Thanks for info.. I got gasket already, an FAI one, I'll try autovaux now for head bolts.. My closest motor factors didn't list any head bolts but got a few others to try.
Thanks again.

boyd_1989
17-07-15, 11:56 PM
I have a picture of my old f*cked gasket here if anyone can upload for me? Post email address and I'll send it.
Thanks.