PDA

View Full Version : 2 fuel pumps gone in 1 month

nova.mike
24-05-15, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, done some work on my nova over the winter months, one job which was running internal fuel lines...

Since then I've burnt out two pumps... I have a race tank down to my pump (which is below the tank).

Think during hard cornering the pump is being starved of fuel. I've just bought a swirl pot so hoping this will make things better if not would you put the pump under the car where it originally was?

Don't want this to become a unreliable car because its been great so far during my ownership.

Thanks!!

meritlover
24-05-15, 11:27 PM
Im assuming these are high pressure EFI pumps and not a LP Facett or similar so...

pumps burn out because they get too hot. either there is:
not enough flow - too large a pump, or too restrictive a route to and/or from the FPR.
its a starvation issue like you say
or, where exactly is your pump mounted in relation to the tank if not where it originally was? These pumps do not like to suck and should be mounted with as much suction head as possible.

the fuel cools, seals and lubricates the pump so too little flow for its capacity will cause it to gas up and not pull enough heat away from it.

how is it mounted? they dont like being vibrated or clamped solid.

nova.mike
25-05-15, 09:12 AM
Im assuming these are high pressure EFI pumps and not a LP Facett or similar so...

pumps burn out because they get too hot. either there is:
not enough flow - too large a pump, or too restrictive a route to and/or from the FPR.
its a starvation issue like you say
or, where exactly is your pump mounted in relation to the tank if not where it originally was? These pumps do not like to suck and should be mounted with as much suction head as possible.

the fuel cools, seals and lubricates the pump so too little flow for its capacity will cause it to gas up and not pull enough heat away from it.

how is it mounted? they dont like being vibrated or clamped solid.

Thanks for your reply, its mounted in the spare wheel well below and next to the tank. Hoping a swirl pot will help it out giving it a constant amount of fuel. Its in a little holder off ebay similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pump-Clamp-Holder-60mm-Mounting-Bracket-044-Walbro-Sytec-Racing-Bosch-/321560872028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ade85845c

Im gonna lay some foam padding under the mount and also around the pump to help out with the vibrations.

Hope that will sort it :)

Jonlem
25-05-15, 09:54 AM
What pump are you using ? Have you got a picture of the installation

nova.mike
25-05-15, 11:35 AM
http://s9.postimg.org/z3d3oyviz/IMG_2410_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/z3d3oyviz/)

Link to fuel pump:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Vauxhall-Corsa-Nova-A-1-4-Si-1-6-GSi-1988-1993-New-In-Line-Fuel-Pump-/111287871559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3ANova&hash=item19e9462847

mowgli
25-05-15, 12:06 PM
ok, now lets see how you've installed the tank & pipework

a std gte setup should easily be fed by that pump, so it must be a fault elsewhere.

have you kept the original wiring setup off the gte engine?

are your fuel lines restrictive?

nova.mike
25-05-15, 12:24 PM
ok, now lets see how you've installed the tank & pipework

a std gte setup should easily be fed by that pump, so it must be a fault elsewhere.

have you kept the original wiring setup off the gte engine?

are your fuel lines restrictive?

Its a GTE car so all wiring should be right? Once my swirl pot comes I'm gonna go over all the fuel lines, i honestly do think its fuel starvation from cornering hard etc. I had no problems with fuel pumps until I moved it inside.

Onto wiring the ron plug is set to 95 but thats right isnt it and don't think it would effect it that much?

Thanks for the help so far.

Think its a good idea once I get my new fuel pump (hopefully on waranty) and my swirl pot and see what happens?

mowgli
25-05-15, 01:10 PM
a swirl pot is usually fed by a second, low pressure pump.

re the RON plug, that won't have any effect on the pump, only the ign timing.

nova.mike
25-05-15, 02:57 PM
a swirl pot is usually fed by a second, low pressure pump.

re the RON plug, that won't have any effect on the pump, only the ign timing.

Yeah but ive read about some people just feeding them by gravity. It should help things alot more. Just been checking out the fuel lines and i've noticed the fuel line from the tank to the pump does go down to the pump but about 10cm before it there is a incline in the line which could be another issue, however I thought it would had been fine as the head of the fuel would overcome this? Time will tell, if i take great care once plumbing in my swirl tank when it comes the problem should go. We'll see and I'll keep you guys posted :)