PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Foam

Andy
20-05-15, 05:58 PM
Posting this here as activity in mechanical section seems non existant nowadays.
Iv purchased some fuel tank foam for my autograss fuel tank.Iv got a one gallon cube which is 200x150x150 in size.
It has a bit of squish but not near to what will be required to fit through the hole.
Can it be cut? If so what with?
Should it fill the whole of the tank?
Any help or advice is always appreciated.

House
20-05-15, 06:17 PM
My tank foam is literally sponge mate, i cut it with scissors below the fill neck as it was impossible to use a petrol station pump to fill the tank.

it just cut with scissors really easy but I'm not sure if all "tank foam" is the same!!

Andy
20-05-15, 06:30 PM
Its not all the same no.scissors was my idea but was worried of particles getting into fuel system.should be ok i guess.
thanks for quick reply

BRoadGhost
20-05-15, 11:07 PM
Can't really beat a custom tank made with the foam as a single piece inside. If you make pieces to put in after you cut them into the bath / a bucket & wash them to ensure no small particles.

Andy
21-05-15, 06:44 AM
Thanks mate.yeah im a bit disappointed i have to cut it.I naively expected it to have a bit more give but hey ho.Rep to you both.

House
21-05-15, 12:52 PM
I'm running a gravity feed to my swirl pot so I put a 30 micron filter inline just incase the foam decides to start breaking down as I've heard cheaper foam can dis intergrate.

As Mr Ghost says, I washed the foam off after cutting too!!