PDA

View Full Version : Brake question

ShawnAzzopardi
17-05-15, 08:03 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my brakes, as with my engine, the standard solid 236mm discs up front aren't that great when braking.
I have 13" rims up front and don't really want to buy others.

Are there any really good kits with like, 2 pot calipers that would fit a Nova? Or would the vented discs from higher-end Nova's suffice?

mowgli
17-05-15, 08:20 PM
if you are lucky, you'll manage to get some 236mm vented ones off a corsa b to fit.

but the best thing to do is give your existing brakes a good service. get the rears cleaned up & the self adjusters cleaned & lubed with copper slip, change the fluid & make sure the servo is ok, maybe even renew the master cylinder (or just the seals)

ShawnAzzopardi
17-05-15, 08:43 PM
if you are lucky, you'll manage to get some 236mm vented ones off a corsa b to fit.

but the best thing to do is give your existing brakes a good service. get the rears cleaned up & the self adjusters cleaned & lubed with copper slip, change the fluid & make sure the servo is ok, maybe even renew the master cylinder (or just the seals)
The carriers would be all I need, right? Other than pads/calipers and rotors of course.

But I might just service it heavily. Fingers crossed on the new job, and I'll have the dough to be able to.

Thanks mate. I hope the jungle treats you well, Mowgli.

Jonesfach
18-05-15, 10:25 AM
The carriers would be all I need, right? Other than pads/calipers and rotors of course.

But I might just service it heavily. Fingers crossed on the new job, and I'll have the dough to be able to.

Thanks mate. I hope the jungle treats you well, Mowgli.

what calipers are you running on? The old delco ones?

ShawnAzzopardi
19-05-15, 08:48 PM
what calipers are you running on? The old delco ones?
I've no idea. The car came with them when I bought it.

mowgli
19-05-15, 08:50 PM
ok, what model year is the car? do the brake pads fit with 2 roll pins?

ShawnAzzopardi
19-05-15, 10:08 PM
ok, what model year is the car? do the brake pads fit with 2 roll pins?
Mark 2, 1991, I think the 1.2L no cat model.
Again, no idea. Never looked.

mowgli
19-05-15, 10:53 PM
ok, there were 2 type of caliper fitted.. the original Delco ones were brilliant for about 10 minutes, then the sliders seized up causing all sorts of trouser stains... these are the type with the 2 roll pins to hold the pads. then really late ones have the same calipers as Corsa B's. these are made by Ate, and are so much better.

even fitting a set of corsa ones will improve your brakes

ShawnAzzopardi
20-05-15, 05:52 AM
ok, there were 2 type of caliper fitted.. the original Delco ones were brilliant for about 10 minutes, then the sliders seized up causing all sorts of trouser stains... these are the type with the 2 roll pins to hold the pads. then really late ones have the same calipers as Corsa B's. these are made by Ate, and are so much better.

They may be ATE's. In the morning the brakes are rubbish, but they get better, if you can say that.
Although the brake pedal is spongy as hell.

ShawnAzzopardi
20-05-15, 06:39 AM

I bookmarked these. Any good?

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffBrand=SBS&fffDepartment=Brake%20Calipers&fffMake=vauxhall&fffBasemodel=vauxhall%20nova&fffModelDescription=nova%20hatchback%201983%20to%2 01993&ffftd_car=1.6%20gsi&fffBHP=100

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffBrand=Quinton%20Hazell~~~Mintex~~~B rake%20Engineering~~~A.B.S&fffDepartment=Brake%20Discs&fffMake=vauxhall&fffBasemodel=vauxhall%20nova&fffModelDescription=nova%20hatchback%201983%20to%2 01993&ffftd_car=1.6%20gsi&fffBHP=100

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffDepartment=Brake%20Caliper%20Fittin g%20Kits&fffMake=vauxhall&fffBasemodel=vauxhall%20nova&fffModelDescription=nova%20hatchback%201983%20to%2 01993&ffftd_car=1.6%20gsi&fffBHP=100

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffDepartment=Brake%20Caliper%20Guide% 20Sleeve%20Kits&fffMake=vauxhall&fffBasemodel=vauxhall%20nova&fffModelDescription=nova%20hatchback%201983%20to%2 01993&ffftd_car=1.6%20gsi&fffBHP=100

Jonesfach
20-05-15, 09:53 AM
These are ATE type calipers. I recently upgraded to this type and much better than the old delcos.

you will some carriers from a scrappy of correct size disc. I got some Tigra ones(256mm) then sent the old caliper part back to get my service exchange refund.

how much are you looking to spend ?
be sure that the calipers and disc size fit under the wheels you want to keep. Would think you need to keep to 236 mm discs.

what about just getting refurbed calipers like you have on the car?

A pic pic of what you have will help with advice etc

ShawnAzzopardi
20-05-15, 01:33 PM
These are ATE type calipers. I recently upgraded to this type and much better than the old delcos.

you will some carriers from a scrappy of correct size disc. I got some Tigra ones(256mm) then sent the old caliper part back to get my service exchange refund.

how much are you looking to spend ?
be sure that the calipers and disc size fit under the wheels you want to keep. Would think you need to keep to 236 mm discs.

what about just getting refurbed calipers like you have on the car?

A pic pic of what you have will help with advice etc
I'd like to keep the 236mm sized discs, as 15 inch rims would be a stretch, seeing as there's half a ton of weight on the front wheels, so it tends to droop a bit. I like having a lot of cushion in terms of tires.

Seeing as though I have the 10mm thick solid discs, I thought I'd upgrade to the 20mm vented ones that came on a few Nova's.

And spending, well, I don't have a new job yet, so price isn't really a thing. I mean, I could get a pair of Brembo discs or something, and then just get calipers to fit those ones, couldn't I?

Theoretically, I mean.

mowgli
20-05-15, 07:05 PM
you can use the 236 venteds with the Ate calipers from the corsa b sport.

Jonesfach
20-05-15, 07:08 PM
If he's only running 13 inch wheels will they fit?

mowgli
20-05-15, 07:10 PM
well, some fit, some don't, its down to what 13" wheels are being used. i had some 5j13 steels back in the day with 236 vents & they fitted ok

ShawnAzzopardi
21-05-15, 04:27 AM
well, some fit, some don't, its down to what 13" wheels are being used. i had some 5j13 steels back in the day with 236 vents & they fitted ok
I have 13" steelies off of a Corsa b on it at the moment.

Jonesfach
21-05-15, 12:39 PM
Sounds like you have a plan moving forward then.

ShawnAzzopardi
21-05-15, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you have a plan moving forward then.
Know a website where I might be able to buy Corsa B sport brakes please? So I can check prices.

ShawnAzzopardi
04-06-15, 05:54 PM
http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffBrand=Quinton%20Hazell~~~NK~~~Minte x&fffDepartment=Brake%20Discs&fffMake=vauxhall&fffBasemodel=vauxhall%20corsa&fffModelDescription=corsa%201993%20to%202000&ffftd_car=1.4%20i%2016v&fffBHP=90 these ones right?

ShawnAzzopardi
08-06-15, 01:43 PM
Genuine (probably stupid) question.

If I were to upgrade the brakes from 236mm solid to 236mm vented, would I have to change out the brake master cylinder?

meritlover
08-06-15, 02:01 PM
No