PDA

View Full Version : The DIY Thread

Pistol Pete
14-05-15, 09:07 PM
So, seeing as a few of us are keen DIY'ers, how about we post our DIY related questions in here?!

I'll start lol

Just had my bathroom re-plastered. I have tiled round the bath so far. Walls were ruined where to took the old tiles off so had the walls skimmed to level them up. Now doing some googling says to seal the fresh plaster (after it has dried) with a sealant. I had bought some PVA ready to water it down and slap it on. But google seems to give some varied results.

Just wondered what people on here thought? lol the tub of adhesive states that porous surfaces (i.e new plaster) need sealing with 1 part PVA 5 parts water.

Thoughts.

Novasport
14-05-15, 09:20 PM
Yes you need to seal the plaster. Diluted PVA is fine.

House
14-05-15, 09:22 PM
Do what the adhesive says mate, I tiled our old house bathroom onto plaster but PVA'd first!

Pistol Pete
14-05-15, 09:31 PM
Sweet. Thats what i'll do, cheers. I guess google isnt always your friend. Quite a few DIY type forums say PVA isn't any good and to use a proper sealer. Others say PVA is fine as that is basically what the sealers are!!

Andy
14-05-15, 09:35 PM
Forums talk bollox...oh wait a minute lo
pva is fine

Stuart
14-05-15, 11:02 PM
I'd be mega lazy and chuck on a couple of coats of watered down emulsion paint since we have buckets of white paint for priming the walls before colour changes lol

ive learnt from doing the kitchen, that its never worth it to try and remove tiles from the wall and hope the wall stays fine lol for our bathroom I'll get a few off the wall to get to the plasterboard and simply pull that off the wall and re board the room with aqua board, saves messing about trying to level it all off again (plus can week a few inches of space back as we have double skinned tiles, plaster/board and that's dot and dabbed (evil) on.

bazzap8389
23-05-15, 08:23 PM
Since there's a DIY thread I be as well use it lol

What's best to fill in some big holes in a plasterboard wall?

Cheers

meritlover
23-05-15, 08:32 PM
If they are fist or head size you will need to square the hole, slide and screw some pieces of thin wood in for you to fix your repair section to, then skim, fill, sand to finish.

bazzap8389
23-05-15, 08:35 PM
Biggest ones are prob half of a fist sort of size. What do I actually use to fill it with though? Some polyfiller or something? I'm rather new to this lol

meritlover
23-05-15, 08:59 PM
same method as above except you might get away with filling the whole hole with filler/plaster rather than using a plaster board repair section.

Stuart
23-05-15, 09:07 PM
If its not into a stud wall, I'd use expanding foam to fill the worst and then a skim of filler once the foam is trimmed flush

bazzap8389
23-05-15, 10:43 PM
Cheers for the tips guys :) I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for this thread just finished stripping the whole house so decorating will be starting soon!

mowgli
24-05-15, 01:15 AM
A really good way to patch up plasterboard holes as to get apiece of corrugated cardboard, bend it slightly so it will go thru the hole. Poke a small hole in it and tie a length of string thru it. You then poke it into the hole, pull the string, and it covers the hole from the inside. Whilst keeping the string tight, apply some filler, to about 2/3 of the depth of the board. When it is dry, let go of the string and leave it to set. When set, cut the string and apply a top coat of filler. Job jobbed.

meritlover
24-05-15, 08:46 AM
You can also mix faeces with dry grass and shredded underpants, smear it into the void and leave to dry. Then sand and finish with a skim of toothpaste. Not only is this white, but it hides the smell and gives a great finish.

mowgli
24-05-15, 09:09 AM
That only works on student accommodation

meritlover
24-05-15, 09:16 AM
Yes, i guess it hides the smell.

Shamish82
27-05-15, 12:38 PM
Since there's a DIY thread I be as well use it lol

What's best to fill in some big holes in a plasterboard wall?

Cheers

Baz I would always use plasterboard then tape and fill much better finsh, Just got ma hall to finish so in same boat :thumb: