PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable for C20LET with F28 in 3-dr Hatch Nova

HouseAtreides
10-05-15, 01:46 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know the best clutch cable to use in my Nova fitted with C20LET and F28? Been looking on the bay at some Calibra turbo and Mk3 Cavalier clutches by UniPart and Firstline, but uncertain as to compatibility as regards length etc. Prices seem to vary, though am not convinced this reflects much of a difference, e.g. a UniPart clutch can be obtained for between 7-10 pounds; whereas some of the Firstline clutches range from 12-30 pounds.

I'm sure I used a Cavalier Mk3 clutch cable in my last Nova LET conversion with F28, but was so long ago as to be certain. Also, in this instance, is it better to buy direct from Vauxhall to save on disappointment when one from UniPart or Firstline inevitably snaps?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony

brucer
10-05-15, 06:24 PM
Use the standard nova one, some say to keep a spare in the boot

Benn
10-05-15, 07:40 PM
I use a std one and do keep one in the boot.

Cables snap due to rubbing on the bulk head, rather an stress. So make doesn't matter much.

HouseAtreides
10-05-15, 08:31 PM
The added stress is surely what causes it to rub on the bulkhead, which in turn causes it to snap - there's a big difference in tension through weight between an F13 gearbox and an F28.

The idea of ensuring I have a spare clutch cable in the boot every time I take the old girl for a spin would put me off driving her. No disrespect in doing the opposite of what you both suggest, but think I'll go with a Cavalier SRi 130 clutch cable, as am pretty sure that's what I used in my last Nova LET without issue.

Forgot just how much these projects are more a matter of trial and error than an exact science.

Benn
11-05-15, 04:08 PM
No, it's the angle the cable has to be routed to miss the inlet. It has to be right over to the N/S, its the bend that makes them rub. NOthing to do with the box.

I'm sure any other cable to be too long. If it's not. It will rub and snap in the same way.

I will say, since bending the exit bracket for the cable on the bulk head, i've not snapped one.

HouseAtreides
11-05-15, 11:06 PM
Interesting - your point makes a certain amount of sense. Have ordered a Nova clutch, so will see how it goes. Will try bending the exit bracket during fitment to see if that works. Thanks for the response.

Alex J
12-05-15, 07:27 AM
mine used to east cables untill i changed the clutch snd bearing for an LUK set up, now the pedals so light i had forgot how much of a rock it was lol

Benn
12-05-15, 08:13 AM
Interesting - your point makes a certain amount of sense. Have ordered a Nova clutch, so will see how it goes. Will try bending the exit bracket during fitment to see if that works. Thanks for the response.

You need to bend it. There's a guide in the how toos.

HouseAtreides
12-05-15, 11:17 AM
You need to bend it. There's a guide in the how toos.

Sweet, will check it out and get that done, thanks.

HouseAtreides
12-05-15, 11:19 AM
mine used to east cables untill i changed the clutch snd bearing for an LUK set up, now the pedals so light i had forgot how much of a rock it was lol

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the clutch snd bearing, as anything to help lighten the weight on the foot is always welcome?

HouseAtreides
12-05-15, 01:38 PM
Can't seem to find this elusive 'how to' thread for bending the exit bracket. Any clues as to where I should be looking?

HouseAtreides
12-05-15, 01:40 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the clutch snd bearing, as anything to help lighten the weight on the foot is always welcome?

Sorry, see it was a typo - I see the 's' should have been an 'a', as in the clutch and bearing. I'm fitting a brand new 6 paddle Helix clutch kit, including release bearing, so that base has been covered.