PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold sealing

Scottcooper85
18-04-15, 10:19 AM
Fitted my Ashley manifold last week and it's blowing slightly from one side and the bolts are as tight as I dare go. Is there any good high temp sealant about that anyone's had good results with? Or would it work using 2 gaskets?
it had a stell pressed gasket before and this new one is like a fibre type one but I thought it would have compressed down and made a good deal.

Rob H
18-04-15, 11:10 AM
Holts firegum. Used it for years, never had a problem. It's good for 1000°c from memory.

meritlover
18-04-15, 03:01 PM
You dont need sealant. 2 flat surfaces and a new gasket and it will seal.

torque evenly from the centre out.

conza123
18-04-15, 08:18 PM
Mite be worth checking if the manifold face is flat and maybe have a skim if it not flat,

never use sealer

and I always tend to torque them up as u will be suprised how much tighter they go

garyc
18-04-15, 09:01 PM
take it off and see if the flange is bent.....

Scottcooper85
19-04-15, 12:36 PM
I removed it to inspect it as I had the radiator out anyway. Turns out the nob I let have the old system on condition he fit the new one on his ramps at work rounded one of the studs off and put the other in wrong so the nut wouldn't go far enough down. I managed to get it to seal by putting a couple of washers on before the nut and used a very light coat of assembly paste on the manifold flange too.

meritlover
19-04-15, 02:09 PM
what is 'assembly paste'?

Scottcooper85
19-04-15, 04:42 PM
what is 'assembly paste'?

Paste for using when you assemble exhaust joints