PDA

View Full Version : Bumper filling and smoothing?

frog_southampton
18-09-03, 07:09 PM
how can i fill my bumpers?

just slap a load of filler on and rub down/spray ??

what filler shall i use?

dave.gsi
18-09-03, 10:46 PM
its best to fill the grooves with p40 (a fibreglass filler) then smooth over with p38 to get it really smooth. remeber to key the surface beforehand so it'll stick properly

NovaRoamer
21-09-03, 12:35 PM
dave gsi got it right m8 - did mine a couple a weeks ago and it now only needs spraying. Be as tidy as you can with the p40 though cos it is harder to sand than filler! Use an electric sander if you have one for the initial sandings, but then do more final stuff by hand to ensure a perfect finish. Oh, and btw, i found you can buy a pack with the p38 & p40 together in halfords for about ?7ish. One last tip - go easy on the hardener in the glass fibre until you are used to how it goes on/in!

ade
21-09-03, 02:29 PM
p38/p40 ok but tbh on standard bumpes it will after time crack on corners unless you really key it.

This means first off degrease it - coz someones bound to have used that nasty back to black pish on it - this is silicone and nowt sticks to that stuff - then in the hollowed area you wanna literally gouge deep scratches into the whole area to be folled - cross hatch them gouges - for maximum effect, drill 4mm holes all along at regular intervals - that way when you spread you p38 or p40 the resin will seap through the holes inot the back and you can them flatten from behind creating anchor points!

Alternativey you can get sopecial felxible bumper biller - this is ok on smallish areas and thin areas just dont layer it up too thick - same with p38/p40 basically.

Also go easy on the catalyst (the pink stuff) - you only need a little - juyst to make to turn pink - not deep red! the less you use the longer you have to worth with it and the more flexible it is - use too much and it will cure very quick and will crack/shrink. Make sure you use enough though - dont want it not going off ever!

:D