PDA

View Full Version : removing XE from Nova

steve1434
10-04-15, 02:01 PM
Hi all

This weekend i plan on removing my XE and F20 from my nova. I have removed small blocks before but have a few questions as i have no manual for the XE

Do i need to withdraw the input transmission shaft to get the engine free of the box? Or is there enough wiggle room when everything is loose?

Is it easier to lift motor up and out or drop it out and lift car up?

Thanks

Iain
10-04-15, 02:49 PM
Drop it out the bottom. Ignore what benn says when he comes along.

Pull the box and engine in one then just split it with the bell housing bolts

torquey
10-04-15, 03:09 PM
When i removed mine i just unbolt all the mounts and dropped the lot out the bottom. Make sure the car is high as possible on axel stands.

steve1434
10-04-15, 03:21 PM
Cool. I have a crane and am just swapping all running gear and engine/box from one to the other. Should be easy enough i reckon.

Is it safe to leave the shafts in the box and remove? I do also need to swap the hubs but guess i will have to remove those?

Andy
10-04-15, 03:29 PM
Use the hoist to lift the car high enough.out the bottom every time whatever engine for vauxhalls

blue_peg_16v
11-04-15, 07:33 AM
As said out the bottom in one piece

steve1434
11-04-15, 11:35 AM
Was as easy as that haha, out of one, inspected and just about to put it the other. Would ideally keep it out and clean etc but dont have the space :(

Benn
11-04-15, 12:58 PM
I'd pull the engine and box out in one, nice and easy.

I've found (even tho people think differently) that you can lift it straight out the top with total ease. Same on refitting, angle the box down a bit and it drops straight in. Even with a F28 fitted.

I did it once from the underside and found it was much more tricky, rack in the way and things.

Place i think it's safer not having the car balanced on 10 tyres and bits of wood. To get it high enough.... * NOT that every one does it like that but i have seen it.

Andy
11-04-15, 01:27 PM
Im a proper hobo and lifted mine up by hand by slotting a torsion bar off a 205gti into each chassis leg.you only need two tyres benn not ten lol

LDAWSON
12-04-15, 04:31 PM
Drop it from below, not worth risking damaging paint on bonnet and chassis legs...

phunkynova
12-04-15, 08:24 PM
Quickest way like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MZcxZdZdw