PDA

View Full Version : Question about bushes

ledpen
06-04-15, 08:45 PM
I'm restoring a 1.2 merit and plan on fitting a c20xe, will I need to upgrade my bushes to polybushes? I will be running a set of coilovers if that makes any difference to the answer, engine bay will also be stich welded

conza123
06-04-15, 08:52 PM
What bushes, suspention or engine

suspention - it wouldn't hurt as gone rubber bushes are 20+ years old so gonna have some play
poly sport ones are a happy medium as there not so stiff that you break your teeth

engine - just fill the gaps on the drivers engine mount with tiger seal to stop most of the movement

ledpen
06-04-15, 09:50 PM
Suspension bushes, I have the complete front end stripped engine out and all so I'm going to replace the arm and ball joints, mounts for steering rack seem ok how important would poly be for the steering rack? Also the new arms come with new bush's would be a shame to have to replace them for poly but if you think I need to I will, only other bush's I can think for are tie bars, as for the engine I will be buying a mount kit but I will fill any gaps as you say

conza123
06-04-15, 10:08 PM
It would hurt to replace the other bushs, rack ones would be a lot Easyer etc while engine is out but not necessary

ledpen
06-04-15, 10:45 PM
Will the arms be ok with standard bushes? They are brand new,

conza123
06-04-15, 10:50 PM
Yep, but polys arnt expensive if u want a less play

chris gsi
06-04-15, 11:11 PM
I use the bushes from rally designs,I had the poly race ones in my old track car and have just fitted the poly sport ones to my current nova.

ledpen
07-04-15, 08:40 AM
Much difference in comfort between poly and standard? I plan on driving my nova on the roads at weekends etc I won't be rallying or anything like that, but at the same time I don't want to be changing worn standard bushes out every 6 months because that arnt up to the task of a c20xe

Iain
07-04-15, 08:48 AM
Standard new bushes will probably be fine. Usually cheaper and easier to replace with poly and they tighten it up a bit.

Stuart
07-04-15, 09:13 AM
new rubber ones will be fine imho.
Plenty of supercars running rubber bushes lol