PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on rims for a Nova hatchback

ShawnAzzopardi
01-04-15, 08:17 AM
I'm looking for a set of rims for my Nova, and I'm hellbent on a set of steelies painted white.
14 inch largest size rim, maybe 6.5" wide, but with low profile tires.
I just don't know what shape of cut in the steelies. I was thinking maybe like the ones the 106 Rallye had, or maybe the 5 spoke ones like on the Mk 2 Golf.

Anyone wanna weigh in?

millworm
01-04-15, 12:29 PM
Check out extreme offset wheels on facebook

Rob H
01-04-15, 02:51 PM
rallye steels arw 4x108 unfortunately, some renault 5's came with nice 14" steels in a 100 fitment.

ShawnAzzopardi
01-04-15, 07:36 PM
Check out extreme offset wheels on facebook
Can't really have wide wheels. The ones it has now (I think 6" wide) already rub on the transmission when I'm on full lock going to the right. Engine swapped, so I'm guessing it sits a bit wider in the engine bay.

ShawnAzzopardi
01-04-15, 07:37 PM
rallye steels arw 4x108 unfortunately, some renault 5's came with nice 14" steels in a 100 fitment.
I don't think I'll be able to find a set of those where I am. Thanks for the suggestion though

Southie
01-04-15, 09:17 PM
I don't think I'll be able to find a set of those where I am. Thanks for the suggestion though
Where are you?

ShawnAzzopardi
01-04-15, 09:25 PM
Where are you?
Malta. I've honestly haven't even seen a Renault 5 driving around.

millworm
01-04-15, 09:34 PM
Set of vw bbs from a polo 6n2 gti? With smaller tyres so they look a bit nicer?

Southie
01-04-15, 09:34 PM
Malta. I've honestly haven't even seen a Renault 5 driving around.
Have a look at this R5, he might have some old parts for sale if you contact him/her:
http://www.motorsportmalta.com/renault-5-gt-turbo/

Benn
02-04-15, 12:49 PM
Can't really have wide wheels. The ones it has now (I think 6" wide) already rub on the transmission when I'm on full lock going to the right. Engine swapped, so I'm guessing it sits a bit wider in the engine bay.

Welcome to the club... i haven't had full lock for years...

Jedro
02-04-15, 07:19 PM
if you where willing to stretch to 15" you can get the very early vectra b 4 stud steels, there 6.5j and ET35, look like a bit like banded

i think they also came on some mk5 astras that where 4 stud too

ShawnAzzopardi
02-04-15, 07:57 PM
if you where willing to stretch to 15" you can get the very early vectra b 4 stud steels, there 6.5j and ET35, look like a bit like banded

i think they also came on some mk5 astras that where 4 stud too
I'd have to go really low profile for that. Man, 15 is a stretch.

peester
03-04-15, 05:00 AM
Low profile tyres (I have learned) aren't the answer to helping wide wheels fit.. stretching a much bigger, chunkier profile but narrow width tyres is. It is possible to get 6 & 6.5 " wheels (ET49) to fit to standard arches, but you'll need to stretch an O.E size tyre on (145,155 / 65 or 70 profile)
With a low profile tyre you'll end up with no side wall flex- nothing to stretch with, it will sit on the out side of the wide rim and catch like a fool. Plus the ride is too hard.

ShawnAzzopardi
03-04-15, 05:09 AM
Low profile tyres (I have learned) aren't the answer to helping wide wheels fit.. stretching a much bigger, chunkier profile but narrow width tyres is. It is possible to get 6 & 6.5 " wheels (ET49) to fit to standard arches, but you'll need to stretch an O.E size tyre on (145,155 / 65 or 70 profile)
With a low profile tyre you'll end up with no side wall flex- nothing to stretch with, it will sit on the out side of the wide rim and catch like a fool. Plus the ride is too hard.
I don't like the idea of stretching tires, and super low profile tires I don't like either. I'm thinking of just getting 14 inch rims (from the 13 inch I have) and then reducing an inch of tire so they stay the same overall size. Or else I'll just get 13" rims, but I'm getting 14's just in case I upgrade brakes to something else.