PDA

View Full Version : Ignition live

Scottcooper85
31-03-15, 09:43 PM
I'm no electrical expert lol but I know enough to get by. I'm looking to wire my after market ignition, coilpack and fuel pump with relay into the nova soon and wondered where the best place to pick up ignition live is and If possible pictures. My xe ecu is currently using one that goes to a dash light but it doesn't really look beefy enough. Cheers

Iain
31-03-15, 09:53 PM
You may want to disregard all my advice as my thread after yours is how I did this kinda wrong and it carried on running with the key removed but...

I use an existing ignition live to trigger a relay with a beefy +ve from the battery, which feeds a fusebox like this one: http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/4-way-intelligent-blade-fuse-box-with-led-warning-light-12v-dc-658/

Then you can fuse each component separately and provide big enough wires to cope with the expected loads

Scottcooper85
31-03-15, 09:59 PM
Your thread was something that worried me about doing it lol lol

so I can use any size ignition live so long as I use a big fused battery feed into a relay as well, that's more or less how my ecu and fan are at the minute but I need to run another ignition live to the coilpack. Unless I can pick one up in the engine bay somewhere? I hate wiring lol

Iain
31-03-15, 10:27 PM
This is what I've done, which worked fine on injection but refused to turn off on carbs, however might give you some ideas? If it did run on like mine you can wire in the aftermarket ignition to the existing ignition live that's feeding the relay rather than the relay output and it'll cut the engine dead on the key

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

Existing ignition live to 85
Earth to 86
Battery positive to 87 (potentially fused near the battery depending how far the wire has to go?)
30 to fusebox

Then fusebox out to different items on separate fuses

Scottcooper85
31-03-15, 10:43 PM
That's how my fans wired in at the minute mate, was just wondering if there was a better place to grab the ign live from :)