PDA

View Full Version : Torque Spec on wheel bolts Nova

ShawnAzzopardi
31-03-15, 09:19 AM
What are the torque specifications for the wheel bolts on a Vauxhall Nova?

Iain
31-03-15, 01:28 PM
I thought 80-90nm but can check Haynes later

millworm
31-03-15, 05:54 PM
100 on auto data

Edd
31-03-15, 07:16 PM
Ft

7ova
31-03-15, 07:17 PM
90NM or as edd said FT

chris gsi
31-03-15, 07:35 PM
I always set mine to 110nm as its the same as most vauxhalls- corsa b/d vectra b/c

Jonesfach
01-04-15, 10:33 AM
I always set mine to 110nm as its the same as most vauxhalls- corsa b/d vectra b/c
This.

Stuart
01-04-15, 10:38 AM
24" breaker bar and stop when it feels right. Then pop the torque wrench on to see you were right :)

therealnovaboy
01-04-15, 01:58 PM
24" breaker bar and stop when it feels right. Then pop the torque wrench on to see you were right :)

Well that's a waste of time.

Scottcooper85
01-04-15, 02:00 PM
Big bar and turn it until it won't go anymore

Iain
01-04-15, 04:10 PM
Sounds like s recipe for over tightened wheel bolts

Stuart
01-04-15, 07:10 PM
Well that's a waste of time.
Its usually for the nay Sayers.... Ie when I was popping wheels back on the shed DBS where I used to work and the tech director didn't think I would torque them correctly by hand. Humble pie was consumed by him lol

conza123
01-04-15, 08:11 PM
I allways do mine to 120 nm same as every vw etc

Southie
01-04-15, 09:19 PM
I use to just get the wheel brace tight by hand then double check the next day after driving about if they'd come loose.

A thread and nut conversion is better IMO anyway.

meritlover
02-04-15, 07:13 AM
This is exactly the type of thread i'd expect to get to 2+ pages on this site these days.

therealnovaboy
02-04-15, 09:00 AM
This is exactly the type of thread i'd expect to get to 2+ pages on this site these days.

And we still don't know how to torque a wheel

meritlover
02-04-15, 10:23 AM
What type of torque wrench did you use?

Stuart
02-04-15, 10:26 AM
What type of torque wrench did you use?

nothing special...

therealnovaboy
02-04-15, 11:11 AM
Anyone who uses a 24" breaker bar to tighten wheel nuts either needs to start finishing their porridge or leave it for the bigger boys.

Stuart
02-04-15, 12:00 PM
lol so much bile, this is fun

I couldn't be harrised with lots of tools to carry out to Germany, so went with the 24" as it covers most ground (for the size) for everything (tanks, HMMWVs, cars etc) and it puts you off stepping on the thing to really crank the torque up like I've seen many do with the shorter bars lol

Never had a bolt over/under torqued with it and my well calibrated elbow, but lets not care about that

therealnovaboy
02-04-15, 12:12 PM
My local tyre garage uses a "calibrated" air impact gun. If blew the professionals mind when I told him to slacken it of then torque it.

Stuart
02-04-15, 12:15 PM
My local tyre garage uses a calibrated air impact gun.

Maybe they need more porridge :p

mowgli
02-04-15, 01:48 PM
My local tyre garage uses a "calibrated" air impact gun. If blew the professionals mind when I told him to slacken it of then torque it.

calibrated my left testicle....

these are the same people that only ever put 30lbs of air in all tyres.....

I've trained my mrs to demand the wheels are hand tightened if she goes to a fast fit.

the normal is to tighten them as much as you can push on the factory wheel spanner. then you have a hope of being able to loosen them when you need to.

I once broke several 17mm sockets attempting to undo a steel wheel on an astra that a local 'expert' had tightened with a windy gun.. the final socket went after we had put a 10' scaffold onto a 24" snap on breaker bar then jumped on it. so when the garage reopened, we took it in & demanded a set of new wheel bolts cos of him overtightening them.. he produced a torque wrench, set it to a data book, and promptly clicked them, smugly pronouncing them to be the correct torque, so I stuck 10lbft on it , set it to undo & told him that if they were correct, it would be on bother to undo them.. so, having made him look a pillock, we got him to undo them with his air gun, then replace them with new bolts & hand tighten them properly

therealnovaboy
02-04-15, 03:21 PM
I always grease my wheel nuts so what should I set my torque wrench to?

meritlover
02-04-15, 03:51 PM
I always grease my wheel nuts so what should I set my torque wrench to?

It really depends on the coefficient of friction of the grease you use.

Since torque is an implied method of determining bolt stretch and therefore its tension against the wheel, the stretch will vary by the same applied torque depending on what the coefficient is.
....obviously the local tire fitting professionals know this and adjust their impact wrenches accordingly...

therealnovaboy
02-04-15, 04:49 PM
Funny my tyre fitter didn't mention this.

My local tire fitter is 20miles away. When I get home after new tyres fitted I have to go straight back to get them re torqued. He always said come back for a re torque after 40 miles.

If they do slacken and he does re torque them do I have to go back again after 40 miles again?

meritlover
02-04-15, 05:02 PM
My local tire fitter is 20miles away. When I get home after new tyres fitted I have to go straight back to get them re torqued. He always said come back for a re torque after 40 miles.

If they do slacken and he does re torque them do I have to go back again after 40 miles again?

Unfortunately, yes.

Since the distance between tyre fitter and your home is half the prescribed re torque mileage you are caught in an endless loop of going between your house and the garage. If you were to drive for 40 miles and then come back you would have exceeded the distance.

At least this way you can be certain that your wheel nuts will be consistently at the wrong torque.

The only way to get out this predicament is to move house.

therealnovaboy
02-04-15, 05:11 PM
I've often wondered how these mobile tyre fitters get round this. Do they do a call out for a re torque?

meritlover
02-04-15, 05:12 PM
The last time I used a mobile fitter. He came to me to change my wheel then drive 40 miles away and I drove out to meet him. Its so much more convenient.

therealnovaboy
02-04-15, 05:15 PM
I wonder what they would do if you turn up for a re torque with half the bolts missing. Surely it's their fault.

meritlover
02-04-15, 05:22 PM
Its all part of the service really. Thats why they do the check and also why there are 4 wheel nuts instead of just 2. Bigger cars have 5 wheel nuts as they generally do more miles. This is 'designed in' redundancy so you can loose one and be perfectly safe.
If you had one of these cars you would be allowed to do 80 miles before re torquing.
Motorbikes only have one wheel nut but they only do 40 miles a year providing there is ample sunshine.
A unicycle has less again but you do less miles again on one of those so its proportionally safer...
Lorries and high mileage vehicles have lots of wheel nuts to get round this issue or it would just be silly.

therealnovaboy
02-04-15, 05:29 PM
That makes sense as my tyre fitter just asks me to do a lap of the forecourt on my unicycle so he can re torque it. He just sets the windy gun to unicycle.