PDA

View Full Version : coilovers

Dicko
18-09-03, 11:45 AM
anybody with experience of coilovers list the benifits of them, additional parts i WILL need/recomended for them, and what brand/model to go for and why.
was considering avo, but can remember lotsof people having problems. and also spax RSX.

cheers :)

MC
18-09-03, 11:57 AM
The main benefits are quite obvious, full adjustability. I would definately recommend them, but to be honest, if you can get your lowered to the right height, the only thing you should ever need to change is spring rates.

You should alter suspension stiffness by changing spring rates, not dampers. A good set bilstein fixed dampers and appropriate tarmac springs is what most competitive people use.

What is usefull though, is being able to have the the car low and hard for track and high and soft for the ride home, so we don't rub the arches.

If you buy a full set of coilovers, you should have all you need, but you will have to cut out the rear inner arch to fit them.

MC

Rick Draper
18-09-03, 12:12 PM
I know si had problems with his spax not fitting as they hit the tyre. AVO's are bad but i have changed my attitude towards them recently as at least mine have not leaked! Rick

Will
18-09-03, 01:08 PM
what abt FK coilovers? how do people rate them? ne1 tried on a nova b4?

will

Ste_Nova
18-09-03, 01:17 PM
what abt FK coilovers? how do people rate them? ne1 tried on a nova b4?

will

i like them.. anodised so won't rust up like the avos.... but the rear isn't a coil over it's an adjustable mini-blok spring

Dicko
18-09-03, 01:19 PM
but is tha ta bad thing?

also how much i dont wanna spend over ?500

Ste_Nova
18-09-03, 01:27 PM
these sound good

FK Silverline Plus X Coilovers
FK Silverline Plus X coilovers have the same features as the FK Konigsport coilovers, only these feature a polished stainless steel body.

FK Silverline Plus X = Height & dampening adjustable

Please note these are still in production & are currently unavailable. Check back soon for more information.

Ste_Nova
18-09-03, 01:29 PM
but for now u will have to put up with the non stainless ones from pvd

http://www.pvdnet.co.uk/images/fk/FKOP201.jpg
KonigSport ?760

CP
18-09-03, 01:34 PM
If you want cheap adjust coilovers then its Avo but the ride is harsh unless you get them to supply a softer spring rating.

For an ordinary road car I wouldnt bother - a set of billys will suffice or even Apex etc esp as you aint running a heavy 2.0l lump.

Adjustable coilovers are only really of use if you wanna raise your car up and down for competition etc

Also dont overlook the fact that with coilovers on the rear, the springs press against the wheel arch around the damper mount which has no re-inforcing. Could be poss a problem if car is fully loaded with passengers?

Ste_Nova
18-09-03, 02:11 PM
Also dont overlook the fact that with coilovers on the rear, the springs press against the wheel arch around the damper mount which has no re-inforcing.

guess where my cage attaches to :twisted:

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/psc/imageup/1063890767__cage.jpg

Ben
18-09-03, 06:19 PM
Buy my Koni's if you want Dicko, still in the box.

NovaNeil
18-09-03, 07:50 PM
I know theres lots of people that have had problems with Avo's and i've said this before, but I love mine! I've had no probs at all. Yes they can be a little harsh! (especially as i've got even shorter springs made up for mine) And they do tend to suit a car that will will be used on track days and fast smooth tarmac.
To be honest I think the best set up would be another make of front coilovers. Be it FK or Bilstien for example and use the Avo rears as these will give the lower rear that so many people crave 8) . But it entirely depends what driving you do and what you want from them. If you want a decked car and don't care about ride comfort AVO are the way to go, but if you like your B-Road trashing theres probably something better you can get for this.

Neil

MattyWoo
18-09-03, 08:28 PM

KonigSport ?760

Or the HighSport ones which are only height adjustable, with fk's own inserts and not koni inserts. They are the ones we sell most of, they seem to have a nice balance between hard and soft ride from what i've heard. only ?505.

mowgli
18-09-03, 09:22 PM
years back I read that novas have the same diameter front springs as rwd ford RS2000's. you can get springs made for them in all sorts of lengths & rates and they are v. cheap.
The main factor on a road going car is looks, so get the kit that looks the best.

Ste_Nova
19-09-03, 11:19 AM

KonigSport ?760

Or the HighSport ones which are only height adjustable, with fk's own inserts and not koni inserts. They are the ones we sell most of, they seem to have a nice balance between hard and soft ride from what i've heard. only ?505.

well i want a set of the above... and i want discount :twisted:

Aamir
19-09-03, 11:41 AM
What do peeps think of "Leda" coilovers ?

tay
20-09-03, 09:17 AM
I've just bought and fitted the AVO evolution kit. At the moment the I've got the backs adjusted as high as they'll go and my 17's still catch on the arches when you go over a bump etc, think i need to turn up the damping a bit more ......

MattyWoo
20-09-03, 09:26 AM
I've just bought and fitted the AVO evolution kit. At the moment the I've got the backs adjusted as high as they'll go and my 17's still catch on the arches when you go over a bump etc, think i need to turn up the damping a bit more ......

LOL @ Avo. good luck :)

Ste_Nova
20-09-03, 12:00 PM
think i need to turn up the damping a bit more ......

i think you need to mod your arches more.... your car must look like a monster truck!!!

beatin u
21-09-03, 05:47 PM
http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/psc/imageup/1064162765__Mvc-016f.jpg

mmm turrets= big drop and still have suspension travel 8)

big_steve_x
21-09-03, 09:15 PM
i used to have -40mm bilstein setup i thought that was good but then i changed to FK coil overs. i'm currently on a 65mm drop now on 17s, and the handling is amazing, the car used to loose grip on some bends but now it just grips round it for some reason, haha! highly recommended, i have the FK coil over kit :) they even sell uprated springs for valvers.