PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Failure on the GSi

murph-gsi
22-03-15, 09:51 AM
Ok I had the Nova in for the NCT or MOT in the UK. It a 1993 GSi with a CAT Converter. It was in the same time last year and passed on the emissions no problem.

Last years reading was 2.99% but this year it is 9.99%:eek:.
The Hydrocarbons last year were 209ppm but this year are 942ppm.

There is also are brake imbalance in the rear of 47%, nearside 1.24kn - offside .660kn. So I guess that is a sticking rear brake hub?

So I need to know what to do to pass it?
Why the emissions were so high as compared to last year?

The car has not been driven much since this time last year. It gets the odd run but that was it, as I was too busy for driving it.

All help and ideas would be much appreciated:thumb:

torquey
22-03-15, 02:29 PM
It needs a good run to get it nice and warm and clear it out. Maybe try a little service aswell.

Scottcooper85
22-03-15, 02:33 PM
Agreed, if it's been sat and just used for short runs there might be condensation build up in the exhaust.

brake balance might be a knackered wheel cylinder or shoes needs taking up at one side

meritlover
22-03-15, 02:35 PM
try adjusting the handbrake to fix the brake balance.

Mazz
22-03-15, 03:16 PM
Basically need to warm it nice and gently and then hammer the shlt out of it!

murph-gsi
22-03-15, 03:36 PM
Ok so for the emissions I will manage that:d

So for the rear brakes. The year before at the test they were .830kn offside to .900kn on the nearside. I never left the handbrake on in the garage. So any ideas whats its from or how to get both the same?

meritlover
22-03-15, 04:10 PM
Ok so for the emissions I will manage that:d

So for the rear brakes. The year before at the test they were .830kn offside to .900kn on the nearside. I never left the handbrake on in the garage. So any ideas whats its from or how to get both the same?

check the adjustment

meritlover
22-03-15, 04:11 PM
While you are at it, check the condition of the rear cylinders, and exercise both front calipers

murph-gsi
22-03-15, 04:37 PM
Dont mean to be stupid but how do I check both of the above?

I know there is an adjuster bolt on the back of the rear hubs but how do I know what is correct?

Stuart
22-03-15, 06:02 PM
The adjuster bolt was used for about 10 cars in the early 80's.... After that, just about all Novas have auto adjusters

conza123
22-03-15, 07:09 PM
Dont mean to be stupid but how do I check both of the above?

I know there is an adjuster bolt on the back of the rear hubs but how do I know what is correct?
To check wheel cylinder remove drum and push the wheel cylinder side to side to make sure it moves freely the if it ok mite help to give them a good clean out with brake cleaner and then it would hurt to ruff the shoes back up with some sand paper or emery paper,

and fronts just remove caliper removal pads give them a good clean and grease them back up and just make sure u can push the piston back in the caliper and refit

meritlover
22-03-15, 07:19 PM
.. After that, just about all Novas have auto adjusters

'Auto adjusters' was almost certainly a miss used term...

Stuart
22-03-15, 07:45 PM
Never had an issue with mine in 6 years of lazy maintenance motoring lol

meritlover
22-03-15, 08:12 PM
I too have never had an issue with the auto adjusters. Only poor handbrake function.

murph-gsi
22-03-15, 11:12 PM
Ok that great lads, will give all of the above a go and hopefully she will fly through the next time.

Even though the car has covered less than 1000 miles would it be an idea to change the oil and filter?

If so, an preferences on oil choices?

conza123
22-03-15, 11:19 PM
Ok that great lads, will give all of the above a go and hopefully she will fly through the next time.

Even though the car has covered less than 1000 miles would it be an idea to change the oil and filter?

If so, an preferences on oil choices?

Yep change the oil ;) and dunno what to put in Probley any old stuff lol

Will F
23-03-15, 10:32 AM
Another way to reduce emissions is to temporarily fit an adjustable fuel reg and wind it off for the tes.... But don't forget to readjust its! Lol