PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gasket?

TheExxonValdez
09-03-15, 05:15 PM
Hi all,
So out saturday afternoon for long drive after rejetting the webers, car was running beaut but when i stopped at the shops round the corner from home it was pissing water out the rad (ironically ive a brand new aluminium one from TX which i was planning to fit Sunday).
I top it up with water, all seems well as the leak isnt that rapid and im only 10mins from home, when suddenly theres a big hiss and ball of steam from the engine, pul over its still running and sounds fine, as i get the boot open it softly dies and there is very pressured steam coming from somewhere at the front, either the head or rad i couldnt tell caus was pitch black.
So i leave it to cool overnight, come back to it, naturally wont start, so i strip down to the block, manifold (irmsher for dcoe 40s) gasket is gone between water way and cylinder 1 (****e design imo), so i figure maybe water in cylinders, pull exhaust and plugs and turn some petrol through by hand, no obvious sign of water. Make a new gasket and put it all back together, turns fine by hand so try and start, no joy, even with easy start spray, get a few coughs and thats it.

Sooooo question is could it be anything else or should i change the head gasket? Im loathed to do it again as i did it only a couple months ago, though admittedly its had a few instances of overheating since then.

Also it just occured to me that i could turn the engine over by hand just with a standard 20cm socket spanner on the cam wheel reasonably easily with all plugs/exhaust/inlets on, is this the usual case? Ive only ever turned by hand with plugs out before where it turns very easily.

Stuart
09-03-15, 06:18 PM
Head off, a headset is pence