PDA

View Full Version : F17 cable shift on F20 in a Nova

Iain
21-02-15, 03:52 PM
I'm struggling to get the f17 cable shift to work on an f20 in a nova

Got the turret on the box, cable bracket mounted in the original location and the cables are aimed directly at the steering rack, and there's no room over the top of it for them

What's the dealio in getting the cables to work on a Nova?

Peredur
21-02-15, 08:54 PM
Don't know if this'll help as it's in a corsa but I might as well pop it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72JmDIR8xU

Iain
22-02-15, 09:10 AM
Cheers done the bay side of things got my bracket mounted but tackling usual space and tightness issues of the Nova!

gaf2
30-03-15, 08:34 PM
I have it working in my nova but on a F15 box. I had to shorten both cables in order to get all gears correctly. Once shortened they were easier to get passed the rack and through the bulk head. With them original length second was difficult due to the bend in the cable.

A Fair bit off faffing to shorten, involves cutting, drilling out swaged fittings, drilling out the solid rod ends and silver soldering/brazing back together. Well that's how I did it anyway.

Cheers Grant

Iain
30-03-15, 10:07 PM
Well done grant. I have given up for now :)

Benn
30-03-15, 10:26 PM
Johnny has his in where the nova shift rod goes iirc.

Iain
30-03-15, 10:27 PM
He had to make up a custom bracket to hold the cables and it's still tight against the rack

Benn
30-03-15, 10:37 PM
That's only the outer og the cable.. So shouldn't matter. But yes i'd forgotten the bracket bit he welded in.

Iain
31-03-15, 07:28 AM
I'd made up a little bracket that holds the OE bracket on an F20 so the cables were pointing directly at the rack.

Just redid my rose jointed and the shift feels loads better so it's probably not worth the effort involved

gaf2
31-03-15, 09:52 PM
I used the original bracket at the gearbox end, one of the mounting bolts goes through the bell housing like in the Vectra but the other two were in mid air so made up a mount to tie them into the casing. As for the shortening, Yes Iain I gave up couple of times but thankfully a quiet backshift at my work and a team of men on the job we got it done haha. As for feel its 100 times better than my rose jointed linkage but my favourite thing is now with cables I have been able to mount the gear shifter up 100mm off the floor which brings it right to my hand when am in my bucket seat.

cheers Grant

Iain
31-03-15, 09:54 PM
I too made up a bracket to hold the OE bracket in the right place (based on the bellhousing bolt fitted), but it was too high up on an F20

gaf2
31-03-15, 09:58 PM
Bummer mate, has it not been done on an f20 before then?

Iain
31-03-15, 10:00 PM
I thought Johnnys was an F20 but maybe not

Got a Cav internal shifter, rosejointed linkage, nylon bushes and late turret with better internals so can live without the cables for now!

gaf2
31-03-15, 10:06 PM
fair play pal.

MARTIN KELSON
01-04-15, 06:51 PM
You can buy a cable shifter for a nova F20 & a lovely machined lever?
need rather deep pockets though!

Iain
01-04-15, 06:52 PM
Is that a question or a statement? Where from?

MARTIN KELSON
01-04-15, 07:02 PM
Can't get my iPad to copy the link.
google CAE shifter then look under Opel Corsa.
saw one at the retro show last year on a turbo mini with an F20. Lovely piece of kit just my pockets not deep enough.

Iain
02-04-15, 07:12 AM
Posh kit indeed looks like it has a standard cable shift turret and an aftermarket bracket

Benn
02-04-15, 12:35 PM
Can't get my iPad to copy the link.
google CAE shifter then look under Opel Corsa.
saw one at the retro show last year on a turbo mini with an F20. Lovely piece of kit just my pockets not deep enough.

Stunning kits. Look amazing, sound as went they change too.Direct to turret change. Mega bucks tho.

See Ben (boffer) upclimb vid in the track day thread... He uses one.

Jedro
02-04-15, 09:50 PM
im using the vectra C 1.8 gearstick and cables with standard bracket on my corsa v6...
i used a late f18 box casing with the holes already in place and had to twist the bracket a little bit, then just fitted the f20 internals like for like

the cables are a little too long causing the side to side motion of the stick to be a little stiff but doesn't bother me as not that bad