PDA

View Full Version : can I put any 1.6 8v Vauxhall engine in my nova?

jamesbray
21-02-15, 12:01 AM
What I mean is, I have been looking at engines on the net to buy, and i seem to find only 1.6 8v's that are no older than about 1999 ( mainly out of astra's)

I have a 1990 H registration nova that is a 1.2 fling. I want to drop a 1.6 in this car with twin 40s/BIKE carbs and would still like to run on a distributor.

I seem 2 think i will have 2 buy an old gte engine is this true?

If not what do I need?

can any body help me?????? Thx Jim

jamesbray
21-02-15, 12:06 AM
Me again just one more thing.

what would be the best GEAR BOX to buy as well??????

Cheers

millworm
21-02-15, 12:18 AM
Gte/Gsi would be preference, not only are they made for the car but they out power most of the other 1.6 8vs although they have defo gone up in price. you'd be better off with a corsa b sport/gsi 1.6 16v as they drop in

mowgli
21-02-15, 02:31 AM
the big struggle will be a dizzy to fit.. the 1.4sr ones are rare these days & you may need a stand alone ignition setup.

you need an engine with round inlet ports. the square ones aren't as good.

you need an F13 box, preferably an f13cr, close ratio box.

as your car is an h reg, i assume it is a carb version. if it is, then you could get your camshaft reprofiled to a more sporty design (autosprint) and then keep the original black delco dizzy.

jamesbray
21-02-15, 07:50 AM
Thanx for your answers.

Gear box brilliant that seems easy just need 2 find 1 cheers.

Ignition system what make / price would I b looking at??????
This seems not a bad idea and would make sourcing a engine easier.

I know I am asking a lot but is there any chance u would know any of the engine codes for a 1.6 8v with round ports???????

jamesbray
21-02-15, 07:56 AM
We're can I source one of these???????

I know the 1.3 nova sport come with what I am looking for, I assume they are not easy 2 get your hands on????

Is there a company that have remade them or any other vauxhall that had one on?????

Cheers jim

Royston
21-02-15, 08:01 AM
We're can I source one of these???????

I know the 1.3 nova sport come with what I am looking for, I assume they are not easy 2 get your hands on????

Is there a company that have remade them or any other vauxhall that had one on?????

Cheers jim

Sport Irmscher inlet manifold has cathedral ports, you need a round port to suit a 1.6

Manifolds come up on Fleabay, probably the best source, unless someone on here has one for sale

mowgli
21-02-15, 05:56 PM
e16se, c16se both have round ports.

iirc the z16se has round ports too.

jamesbray
21-02-15, 08:41 PM
Thx I never knew that cheers

When you say they come up on that bidding site! Do you mean the irmsher manifold?

If not what manifold are you talking about? (Is there a name for it or a company that makes it?)

jamesbray
21-02-15, 08:44 PM
This is going well cheers you have opened me up 2 some good knolewge.

So you have the jist of what I am wanting 2 do is there any more info or ideas that will help me make sure I am buying all the right things??? Cheers

jamesbray
21-02-15, 08:48 PM
1 last last thing I have been 2 get this car 2day and it has been part of this club aswell as been in 1 of your shows last year.

jamesbray
22-02-15, 05:42 PM
I'm going 2 go with a e16se seen as this engine has a dizzy. I have got hold of an inlet manifold that has been professionally changed from cathedral ports 2 round ports.

Just in need of a e16se. This has round ports to. Am I correct?

millworm
22-02-15, 05:50 PM
yeah it is round port, I've got an e16se on t 40's if you have any probs

jamesbray
22-02-15, 06:32 PM
Thanx that is very helpful seen as I am new 2 this cheers.