PDA

View Full Version : To cat or not to car...

marc69
06-02-15, 09:44 PM
I meant to cat or not to cat, spelling!

On the 1.2nz engine, is there any point in putting on the standard 1.2 carb exhaust sytem (minus manifold of course)?

I assume it won't do much for performance but will there be any improvement in economy or is it an efficient cat anyway?

therealnovaboy
06-02-15, 09:49 PM
It will make it louder and slightly quicker but nothing to write home about. Its not worth the effort of swapping it over every year for an mot.

unless you were really interested about getting the most from an SPI then its not worth it.

marc69
06-02-15, 10:44 PM
it is really just the bolts at the manifold (two bolts) but if there is no improvement in economy, I don't see any point in bothering.

I reckon it would be ok for Mot as it is an early 1992 car, so when the cat goes, if it is cheaper without a cat I might consider it but for just now, I might aswell save the planet (yawn).

therealnovaboy
07-02-15, 02:16 AM
if you can pass the mot with no cat then you would be as well to weigh it in for scrap and spend the profit on fuel.

no cat is always going to be better than with a cat. its just the hassle of changing for the mot

millworm
07-02-15, 02:23 AM
As above, wouldn't bother with one if you can get away with it

marc69
01-04-15, 08:54 PM
I have driven it without the cat on a standard carb 1.2 exhaust system and I have to say there is no difference at all,I think the 1.2 nz is underpowered that the restrictions from a cat make no difference lol!

I'll use the cat and keep the exhaust as a spare fro my carb 1.2.