PDA

View Full Version : Fitting C20SEH without modding chassis leg

boyle_46
01-02-15, 11:06 AM
Lads i have just had my whole car resprayed and engine bay sitting pristine, although i made the school boy error of not modding the drivers chassic leg to accomodate the altenator on the 2.0 engine, I heard from a few people that you can get away with fiddling with the altenator setup to clear, i just dont want to muck up a freshly painted bay and beating the chassis leg in as it will look a sight any help would be great or photos of how others have got around it cheers :thumb:

8valve-craig
01-02-15, 11:55 AM
Mount the Alt down the front where the power steering pump used to be.

mowgli
01-02-15, 12:06 PM
it has been done times. look at the alternator mount bolts & see if you can't make some space there

Iain
03-02-15, 08:35 AM
it has been done times. look at the alternator mount bolts & see if you can't make some space there

Can't take it too far out of line with the bottom pulley though or you'll have the belt inverting or trying to escape

As Craig says, off the front sounds like the approach you need to take, unless you can clear enough space and mount the engine so there'll never be any movement

Benn
03-02-15, 12:51 PM
You can some times get away with machine both pulleys down on the alt, removing a washer and trimming down the nut (all lathe jobs) and then cutting the shaft down as short as you can make it.
They will give abit of clearance. But it will either touch or be very very close when you corner.
I ran mine like it for a few years, as the clearance i made wasn't enough.

Damo
16-02-15, 11:07 AM
When i fitted my 20xe i only very lightly modded the chassis leg with a hammer an block of wood an its never touched when cornering i even run the twin vee bottom pully with no issues.

Damo.