PDA

View Full Version : valve guides

mcgee.m
17-01-15, 10:13 PM
hi all just a quick question about valve guides, I've had bronze ones fitted. When the Engine was re-built and then fitted back in the car, on first start up a large amount of smoke was coming out the exhaust, the engine was then taken back out and stripped down a large amount of oil was getting in to the head, I was told that it was the valve guides. I didn't think valve guides could leak is this correct? Please could you guys let me know what you opinion/thoughts are on this.

Many thanks,

philip
17-01-15, 10:47 PM
Stem seals popped off? Bronze guides are usually a very tight fit and req alot more work too ream out compared too std type. Its not very often it happens but oil can leak between the head and casting. But id of though a seal problem if lots of oil

mcgee.m
18-01-15, 12:39 AM
Stem seals popped off? Bronze guides are usually a very tight fit and req alot more work too ream out compared too std type. Its not very often it happens but oil can leak between the head and casting. But id of though a seal problem if lots of oil thanks for reply so u think i should get some new oil seals and see wot happens were is the best place to get seals and would it make any diffrants iv had head work i.e. port polish bigger valves

philip
18-01-15, 06:10 AM
No the porting/valbes shouldnt make any difference. What valve springs you using? Also worth just checking for excessive play in the guides with the valves.

jimbob-mcgrew
18-01-15, 06:21 AM
philips is good advice.

blue smokes usually burning oil.
its more common to do it just on startup, as it takes time for oil to leak down the valve stem. but it can smoke all the time if the leaks bad enough.

most prob the seals.
c20xe / let is it ?

if youve had other valves installed, with different diameter stems, youll need to check there size with a measuring tool, as the regular sized stem seals might not be a propper fit if your using custom parts.

spotted these on ebay - there just the standard 7mm for 20xe/let

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-REDTOP-C20XE-C20LET-VALVE-STEM-SEALS-x16-/380422627411?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5892f4a053

mcgee.m
18-01-15, 10:34 AM
thanks for all feedback spec of head is as fellows
double valve springs
solid lifters
sbd cams
1mm oversized valve ill have to get sizes and go from there

meritlover
18-01-15, 10:36 AM
Check the valve springs aren't catching the stem seals and flicking them off.

philip
18-01-15, 11:02 AM
What springs and caps are you using and spec of cam? As likes of piper, kent etc have a modded retainer so you run 34mm fitted length instead of 32mm if on a std cap.

mcgee.m
18-01-15, 09:05 PM
What springs and caps are you using and spec of cam? As likes of piper, kent etc have a modded retainer so you run 34mm fitted length instead of 32mm if on a std cap.
springs and caps are piper

philip
19-01-15, 06:53 PM
They will be ok. Only thing with them and could be reason....you need a different stem seal or have too grind edge of the gm one too miss the inner spring or the inner spring will pull it off

mcgee.m
19-01-15, 07:09 PM
Iv been reading up on valve guilds and mine are 11mm and my head is a costcast head and it says that should be 13mm could that make a diffrants and the valve stem seals don't go all the way over the guilds as in you can still see some I've the guild

jimbob-mcgrew
19-01-15, 07:23 PM
what do you mean exactly.... got any pics ?

mcgee.m
19-01-15, 08:09 PM
They will be ok. Only thing with them and could be reason....you need a different stem seal or have too grind edge of the gm one too miss the inner spring or the inner spring will pull it off
Iv been reading up on valve guides and mine r 11mm but on the net it says in a costcast head u put in 13mm and also when I put the seals on that don't go all the down the guides

mcgee.m
19-01-15, 08:11 PM
I'll try get a pic mate

philip
20-01-15, 12:01 AM
You cant mix guides up. A few thou bigger wjere guides go and they fall through so 2mm and could throw them through. + if an early coscast head you cant fit +1mm valves on the std inlet seat. Ive got 6/7gm/coscast heads that are all having inlet seats too fit +1mm valves. Soinds like stem seals pulled off.

Nobby
26-01-15, 01:04 PM
-