PDA

View Full Version : braided brake hoses

stewart_2004
17-01-15, 08:25 PM
Hey all,

I purchased a pair of front braided hoses off a member on here received all ok the only problem im having is that the brake fitting tightens up and goes all the way into the hose fitting but it still leaks. I was told they were for a nova but the fitting does to far in as anyone had any problems ? can you get longer brake fittings ?

meritlover
17-01-15, 08:30 PM
Have you got replacement copper lines. If so do you have the right threaded fittings?

stewart_2004
17-01-15, 09:30 PM
yeah ive got copper lines im just using the fittings that i used with std flexis.

mowgli
18-01-15, 09:52 AM
Have you fitted new copper washers?

Also if you only fit front ones, you will not get any benefit over std ones.

craig green
18-01-15, 05:22 PM
copper washers for against the calipers.

I think pics would help here.

stewart_2004
18-01-15, 06:48 PM
I will get pics it's not the copper washers it's the normal brake pipe fittings that's leaking

millworm
18-01-15, 07:32 PM
I would say ptfe but not worth the risk with brakes, personally I would only buy something like that new. Check the threads and see is they match up is the only advise I can give or fit new lines :/

stewart_2004
18-01-15, 07:51 PM
Yeah I am unsure of the make but standard fittings screw into it but it screws too far down into hose which makes it not seal even though the nut is tight all threads on fitting go into hose so but is flush if you get what I mean

Jonesfach
18-01-15, 08:48 PM
Yeah I am unsure of the make but standard fittings screw into it but it screws too far down into hose which makes it not seal even though the nut is tight all threads on fitting go into hose so but is flush if you get what I mean
Without looking at mine....it's bloody too cold.....is there not a brass washer either side of the braided hose connection?

ie one on the caliper side, the round hose connection and then another on the bolt side...in other words the hose is in a copper washer sandwich!

Iain
18-01-15, 08:58 PM
Jones its the screw union leaking not the banjo

PTFE is a pretty terrible idea.

If its the original nova lines and unions then ditch the flexis as they are obviously not compatible and buy new.

stewart_2004
18-01-15, 09:48 PM
It's not original lines they are copper but been on car for years with no probs but when I try fit the braided pipes they leak.

meritlover
18-01-15, 10:10 PM
The reason i asked earlier if the front pipes were replaced is because there are 2 different types of threaded nipple.

One is threaded to the very tip and bottoms out on the female part of the fitting before the pipe forms a seal,

The other one has reduced diameter on the first 2-3 threads which stops is binding on the bottom part of the hose.

This often causes a problem with rear hoses when people make up new lines using the wrong nipples. This may be the case with the front of yours although there is a total lack of information, description or pictures for anyone to help you properly...

https://www.belmetric.com/images/BLE12x1DF.jpghttp://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/555/555-63089_2.jpg

stewart_2004
18-01-15, 10:35 PM
Thanks for reply I used the fitting on the right. I will get pics of hoses.

Jonesfach
18-01-15, 10:35 PM
Jones its the screw union leaking not the banjo

PTFE is a pretty terrible idea.

If its the original nova lines and unions then ditch the flexis as they are obviously not compatible and buy new.

sorry wrong end ! Are we on about the connection on the front strut area??

or rears ??

stewart_2004
18-01-15, 10:49 PM
It's fronts these are the hoses

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o98/stewart29992000/image_zps933bb0bb.jpg (http://s118.photobucket.com/user/stewart29992000/media/image_zps933bb0bb.jpg.html)

Jonesfach
19-01-15, 10:41 AM
Ok so the banjo end on the caliper is all good and tight? It's the end which locates near the front strut which you are having trouble with?
Do you have the same trouble on both driver and passenger side?
it does seem to point that these are the wrong hoses.......whatever you do don't put any Ptfe etc on it....that would be crazy!

stewart_2004
19-01-15, 11:44 AM
Yeah banjo all good I've only done one side as it leaked so didn't want to do both sides.

Andy
19-01-15, 05:16 PM
Ptfe fpmsl.
this site gets funnier by the day hahahaha lol lol lol

mowgli
19-01-15, 05:29 PM
ptfe is one of the worst things ever invented. if the union isn't right, sticking that crap in rarely works properly

Andy
19-01-15, 05:51 PM
Ptfe is fine for water pipes in your home.Not on your car.

meritlover
19-01-15, 06:39 PM
some suggestions on here are downright retarded, ill thought out and dangerous.
It doesnt even seal by the thread, it seats on the cone on the fitting and the swage on the tube. It would only honk up the inside of the nipple anyway.

Jonesfach
19-01-15, 06:43 PM
some suggestions on here are downright retarded, ill thought out and dangerous.
It doesnt even seal by the thread, it seats on the cone on the fitting and the swage on the tube. It would only honk up the inside of the nipple anyway.

Yes don't buy a car from millWorm. lol

Only joking i dont really believe he was serious just thinking out load....

Craigy
19-01-15, 09:30 PM
well personally i would check the flare on the end of the pipe make sure thats ok? other option is cut the flare off, take the union off and try the other type of union which has a slight shank on the bottom....simple? ive just put braided hoses on mine and mine uses the latter type unions with the shank on the bottom

meritlover
19-01-15, 09:47 PM
my banjo had a flare on it but i showed my friend and he he said it was fine.

stewart_2004
19-01-15, 09:48 PM
Thanks for reply where can I get these unions with shank on ?