PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to build the 1.3 nova engine to its max potential?

G-nova
10-01-15, 09:06 PM
Hi guys I need some thoughts and opinions and advice on the best thing to do with the nova sport/sr 1.3 engine I want to keep it but if we say money was no object how and what would you do to tune it out of this world lol what gearbox would you use ect ... any help will be very appreciated

Walshysr
10-01-15, 09:12 PM
I'm with you on this one I havnt a clue what to do to mine but it's got to stay 1.3 I've just purchased twin 40s but not fitted yet so any info would be great

Royston
10-01-15, 09:20 PM
My 1.3 SR was built as 1.3 Big valve head, lightened and balanced, Holbay 270 cam and Irmscher multipoint injection.

I am in the process of building a refurbed engine for my other Sport

I would look at...1.3 Big valve head, lightened and balanced, Piper 285 cam, twin forty webers.

Other options available, depends what you intend to use the car for.....fast road, track days, drag strip, etc

jimbob-mcgrew
10-01-15, 09:40 PM
id bore it out to the max, turbo it, and race spec everything.

you could probably buy a porsche for the money it would cost tho.

Novasport
10-01-15, 09:44 PM
Increase capacity to 1400cc, lightened & balanced, big valve head, cam, twin DCOE's etc. Depends on its use and your budget. No point in making a rev happy engine with peak power at 6-7k rpm if you drive to work in it.

t45_ste
10-01-15, 11:05 PM
copy this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321615475048?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mowgli
11-01-15, 08:09 AM
But remember this. A stock 1600 16v lump will produce more usable power, burn 1/2 the fuel, and cost way less.

If you want originality, get a 1300, bore it out, make it a 1400. Then get the head ported with bigger valves and a decent cam, then 40's.

toymex
11-01-15, 08:53 AM
I have got a 1300 big valve head and kent ast 18 r cam solid lifters for sale if someone wants it ,made 113 bhp 96 lbft on a dyno dynamics rolling road

craig green
11-01-15, 11:12 AM
Building it to a max spec is one thing, but will it perform well in the scenario you want to drive it?

A rally spec, high revving motor will be a pig on the road & in traffic. If it is for a road car then keeping it milder would be just as quick in the real world. You mention optimum gearbox, thats good thinking as using a box with optimum ratios (1.3 SRs were geared a bit long) will get better performance from a std engine & fitting an LSD is another way to make the car perform better without actually having more power.

Regarding tuning any n/a engine however usually involves compression ratios (high comp pistons), high lift/long duration cams, headwork & enlarged valves, inlet modifications, exhaust manifolds & systems & ofcourse fuelling (twin choke carbs, fuel pumps etc). In the case of an 8v Vauxhall this is all tried & tested, the recipe for success is out there.

toymex
11-01-15, 12:54 PM
I drove my engine on the road and it was fine ,my car was on a simple distributor, with mapped ignition that is easily available now it' would have been even better .when you say high revving my cam is quite wild but power was dropping off after 7k so you don't need crazy revs either IMO