PDA

View Full Version : Second - time - around SR owner . . .

TugSR
10-01-15, 10:59 AM
Hello All - just joined the forum after a period of time lurking . . . looking forward to gleaning some knowledge from others here ?

I've recently bought an original "cosmetically challenged" white '89 1.3 SR via the dreaded ebay, which I'm pretty pleased with :thumb:
It's a bog standard car with 80k on the clock which I've no reason to doubt, and although it's been off the road for some years, the previous owner had recently gone to some lengths (starter/battery/fuel pump/plugs etc etc) to get it running which it does perfectly.
Bizarrely, the auto choke even works - my first SR, bought in 1988, couldn't do that lol

Fond memories of that car - C56 DBU Jamaica yellow - bought at 2 1/2 years old from the local Vauxhall dealer with 8k on the clock for £5000 ! It ran faultlessly for 5 years over 80k miles - brilliant first car.

Plans for the latest car are to get it structurally & cosmetically sound. It will be keeping it's standard running gear other than better brakes and "fastish" road standard height suspension. And 13" wheels, obviously . . .

In the mean time, it's starting to make my knuckles bleed as all good projects do -

:thumb:

Royston
10-01-15, 11:56 AM
Welcome, plenty of information and advice available!

bazzap8389
10-01-15, 01:16 PM
Hello and welcome :) get some pics up.

TugSR
10-01-15, 01:25 PM
Thankyou, chaps - sorry Royston, meant mention our previous conversation via "that other" forum . . .
Cheers
Paul

TugSR
10-01-15, 02:03 PM
Let's try a pic . . .
http://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10954/normal_PA160003.JPG

Well, that's the little fella ^ . . . It's a little less intact now though !

Royston
10-01-15, 04:44 PM
Hi Paul, should have realised it was you!

Pleased you made it, I run all my Nova's on 14" rims, althought I do have then "proper" 13" rims for the Sport

If your stuck for owt let me know

craig green
10-01-15, 06:05 PM
Welcome, your plans sound good. re above comments I would get some GM 14" wheels on it & make use of the extra room to fit brakes that work from a 2.0 Vauxhall. Otherwise your plans sound spot on, my fave factory Nova option of all time is the facelifted mk1 SR in white.

Nova00
10-01-15, 07:14 PM
All the best of luck with your project. It is always good to an SR being brought back onto the road.

EwanG
10-01-15, 07:32 PM
Yellow sr http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ewannova/yellowsr_zps8f2ab4b4.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ewannova/media/yellowsr_zps8f2ab4b4.jpg.html)
Lush mmmmmmmmmmmmm lol

EwanG
10-01-15, 07:41 PM
5k for a yellow sr or any car back then must of burst the bank lol. Probably 10k for a detatched house lol. But nowadays that would be a bargain for a mint one lol. I might paint mine yellow! lol

Nova00
10-01-15, 08:03 PM
Ours cost 6K in 1991 and look forward to the day in will be worth 6K again.

EwanG
10-01-15, 08:12 PM
Ours cost 6K in 1991 and look forward to the day in will be worth 6K again.
Just keep it and run it! I still cant believe you have owned and driven yours for 20+ years! You need to put some recent pics up aswell. I take my hat off to you well done:thumb:

Nova00
10-01-15, 08:24 PM
Recent photos are on the link in signature

Just keep it and run it! I still cant believe you have owned and driven yours for 20+ years! You need to put some recent pics up aswell. I take my hat off to you well done:thumb:

TugSR
10-01-15, 09:32 PM
That's a pretty yellow one up above, but I've never liked those alloys . . .
Mine was on 13's with - I believe - Cavalier wheel trims. They made the wheels look a tad bigger.
At the same time, two other lads I worked with had SR's and we used to line them up in the car park. One was a "C" in red and the other a "D" in navy blue. I've never seen another in that colour ?

Disappointed in the info that larger brakes won't go under 13" wheels - this contradicts the Sport brochure leaflet which states it has 2.0 GTE Astra brakes . . .

EwanG
10-01-15, 10:16 PM
Three spokes are well suited for novas! feck the brakes! Just use the gears lollol

Royston
11-01-15, 08:28 AM
Disappointed in the info that larger brakes won't go under 13" wheels - this contradicts the Sport brochure leaflet which states it has 2.0 GTE Astra brakes . . .:thumb:

No the brochure was incorrect or a misprint or pure misleadinglol , poor performing 236mm non vented Delco brakes as standard:roll: