PDA

View Full Version : sticking lifters or knackered engine???

SteveW
16-09-03, 09:45 PM
Big problems with my engine when cold, sounds like a diesel & runs very choppy with misfires. If I let it run warm then come back 15 minutes later, runs OK, still not totally smooth but a dam sight better. Only just started doing it, guess it may be because the nights are getting a bit colder.

Tried to get the lifters out this evening using a tool that hold that valves down, then turning the engine to supposedly get an enough space to remove the rocker arm & get the lifter out. Trouble is I couldn't manage it. Has anyone done this job before without taking the head off?

I've checked over the electrics, cleaned the air inlet & so on. Seems to be a hydraulic lifter to me, or am I missing something really obvious? Will Corsa lifters do the same job if it is these?

Its a E16SE engine by the way.

Aragorn
16-09-03, 09:51 PM
check your cam timing and ignition timing first

might even be worth removing each lifter and giving each a stripdown and clean then rebuilding em - could simply be clogged with shite

never tried any tools to remove em while engine is "built" so ive no idea on that

SteveW
17-09-03, 01:38 AM
Sorry Aragorn, I'm fairly ignorant on checking timing. Do you mean the markings, or using a strobe gun?

As I said, ignorant & you probably get asked this a lot. I normally leave the timing to someone who knows how to do it!

rgv_stu
17-09-03, 09:51 AM
they do come out with an assembled engine
ive assembled a 1200 before without them fitted and done it afterwards. was fiddly job though

Aragorn
17-09-03, 07:58 PM
ignition timing is set via a strobe

cam timing is regarding the cam belt

its in the haynes if u wanna have a look

otherwise take to a garage and ask them to check the cam and ignition timing for you

SteveW
18-09-03, 06:50 PM
Cheers for your advice. Borrwed an old 1.0 until I have the time & patience to get it sorted, takes a bit of getting used to!