PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Germany

Mike
05-01-15, 10:48 AM
Anyone care to chip in any pointers with regards to driving to/in Germany?

meritlover
05-01-15, 10:58 AM
Drive properly, German people have very good road craft.

Overtake, complete your maneuver and move back into the driving lane swiftly.

Update your satnav. There have been big changes to the road network in the last couple of years.

Carry spare lamps, high-viz overcoat, triangle etc as you are more likely to be targeted if you have foreign plates

Not all of the autobahn is unrestricted

Mike
05-01-15, 11:55 AM
Cheers mate.

Satnav is all sorted, brought a new one yesterday with EU mapping. Triangle & Hiviz vest were already in car when I brought it so there covered.

Stuart
05-01-15, 12:18 PM
first aid kit
and dont fit the headlight adjusters unless you have to :) just keep them in the glove box.

Oh and in france, you dont need but do need breathalyzerssssss... Its not law and no one has been prosecuted but its advisable to grab a pair just incase.

Stuart
05-01-15, 12:22 PM
Oh and you may also "need2 winter tyres, not sure if that applies to foreign vehicles though

meritlover
05-01-15, 12:42 PM
The AA has a page on what's required. Also look at surrounding countries depending on where you pass through to get there.
Belgium, France etc.. have different requirements

Nova00
05-01-15, 12:44 PM
I was flashed by a speed camera (one of those forward facing ones) well hidden on a bend in roadworks. I was well over speed limit and thought a big fine heading my way but apparently they do not follow up on overseas cars or was I just lucky.

Jack
05-01-15, 01:21 PM
Drive properly, German people have very good road craft.

Overtake, complete your maneuver and move back into the driving lane swiftly.
This. Germans are extremely well behaved on the autobahns, but don't have endless patience especially if you're not courteous in your driving. Oh and keep an eye out for the speed limits, I used to find myself happily sailing along at whatever speed then all of a sudden a small rogue 120kph sign appears lol

Novasport
05-01-15, 02:37 PM
Anyone care to chip in any pointers with regards to driving to/in Germany?

They drive on the wrong side of the road ;).

meritlover
05-01-15, 02:43 PM
They drive on the wrong side of the road ;).

no, they drive on the right side of the road.

Stuart
05-01-15, 03:09 PM
flashing = GTF OUT OF MY WAYYYYY or also STAY THERE

meritlover
05-01-15, 04:41 PM
Also helps if you have a mate that can actually drive who sits shotgun and checks your mirror/blindspot. Not only will you be shocked how quickly you encroach vehicles in front of you but also how fast someone appears in the over taking lane from behind you from no where.
Especially on the unrestricted sections. With a RHD car, it really helps.

mowgli
05-01-15, 05:32 PM
just drive like the locals do.

Mike
06-01-15, 08:41 PM
Big fun them autobahns lol

So yea, a got here in one piece... lots of snow out by the nurburg but not much left where i am now

meritlover
06-01-15, 08:57 PM
where are/were you?

mowgli
06-01-15, 09:45 PM
mike, just in case you feel homesick.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2899379/Council-chiefs-leave-town-laughing-stock-finally-putting-Christmas-lights-just-time-Twelfth-Night.html

Mike
07-01-15, 05:37 AM
where are/were you?

Im living in Murr, just outside of Stuttgart