PDA

View Full Version : in-tank spi-mpi pumps.

mowgli
04-01-15, 02:35 PM
ok peoples,

i dismantled the corsa b mpi tank i have. i found some funky plastic parts & a very nice little in-line bosch pump.

i then dismantled my spi nova tank. i found that the previous owner had actually converted it to carb, which was interesting, with a piece of flexi pipe & the intake gauze.

so i got the corsa pump & made up a little flexi pipe , leaving the corsa intake gauze on it & fixed it all together. i've only got as far as trial fitting it. and it appears that the gauze is very close to the swirl pot, so i had to push it the last couple of mm..

am i doing it right??

as there doesn't seem to be a better way to assemble it, i'm open to suggestions.

i'll post pics later

Adam
04-01-15, 08:11 PM
Some people do find certain pumps make it a tight fit inside the spi tank.

Is there no way to just shorten the pipe slightly that joins the pump to the housing?

mowgli
05-01-15, 07:03 AM
it looks to be about as short as i can get it

mowgli
05-01-15, 08:09 PM
here it is.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/mowglinova/P1000743_zps5fadebc6.jpg

Iain
06-01-15, 12:03 PM
I run an unmodified MPI in-tank pump in an SPI tank. Think its from a mk3 Astra in the scrapyard.

From what I remember I think it did push on the swirl tank a bit when installed but has never caused me any problems.

Nobby
06-01-15, 12:27 PM
I run an unmodified MPI in-tank pump in an SPI tank. Think its from a mk3 Astra in the scrapyard.

From what I remember I think it did push on the swirl tank a bit when installed but has never caused me any problems.

mines exactly the same

meritlover
06-01-15, 01:10 PM
Watch your tie wraps don't dissolve in the petrol

dgbnova#1
06-01-15, 08:02 PM
I fitted a Cav Gsi in tank pump
measured the nova spi internal height then just trimed the Cav pump to suit till it was the same

I trimed the pipe on the gause filter and also the bottom of the pump so gained height there

also trimed the top pipe to it's minimum plastic steel and the rubber

you need clips on there at the top it will blow off with cable ties unless there mock up ones

before trimming the pump down it was a good 15 mm longer so this would have closed up the filter if fitted like that, not saying that's the case here just what happened on mine

mowgli
06-01-15, 09:13 PM
the pump pipe has got pipe clips on it.

the cable ties are for mocking up purposes, i'll have to do something with the original corsa cradle & some tying wire to set it in place.

dgbnova#1
06-01-15, 09:26 PM
Sorry mate should have looked at the pic again before comment I got the Cav pump back into the rubber mount the nova one was in I'm sure

mowgli
06-01-15, 09:44 PM
unfortunately, mine came with the pump removed & a length of pipe in its place to convert it to carb use

dgbnova#1
06-01-15, 10:29 PM
Can measure one for you if you want will take a pic of how I measured it if you want will give you the standard nova pump dimension can check it against your new one

mowgli
07-01-15, 11:41 AM
thankyou, that will help massively.