PDA

View Full Version : Nights :(

Gazza14SR
16-09-03, 08:44 PM
Well Im off to work now until 7:30 am tomorrow.

First time Ive done night shifts before, anyone fill me in on what to expect?

Thing is though, been messin about with getting my new engine sorted all day so i think it might be along night tonight! :cry:

Might pick up afew cans of red bull on the way :wink:

cheerie bye!

Jules
16-09-03, 09:17 PM
Best bet for when you work nights is, for example, if you'r going in to work on Monday night, stay up as late as possible Sunday night, sleep until Monday afternoon (say 2pm ish) go to work at night, sleep when you get home, that's how I do it (I do 2 day shifts 7am to 7pm, 24 hours off, 2 night shifts 7pm to 7am - then 4 days off).

Dicko
16-09-03, 10:35 PM
take a book ull be asleep in no time. well thats what i do :roll:

or do you actually haveto do work :twisted:

i get an extra ?2ph to try and fall asleep in a chair :roll:

frog_southampton
16-09-03, 11:14 PM
where u doin nights?

i doin nights at the southampton boat show

security

got own hut, i there from 7pm - 7am easy...got tv, phone, kettle, phone, heater....

i sit in car and go sleep after 12

set my alarm for 6.30 just b4 everyone gets there in morn

NoVa_KhAn
17-09-03, 01:50 AM
i do nites all the time but only 6 hours i just think bout the money

Dicko
17-09-03, 05:58 AM
6 hours aint nights lmao. that more like part time shift. nights is a proper 12hour shift where u need to keep yourself awake, or not in my case :roll:

NoVa_KhAn
17-09-03, 11:32 AM
oohhh sorry f*ck sake calm down just just addin my comment or aint i allowed

Will
17-09-03, 11:49 AM
lol chill man

i worked nights once

10pm - 7am last summer while world cup was on, was differeent adjusting but for ?9 an hr u cant really moan abt it can ya!

best part was leave at 7 and then get home to watch the england game at 730am and then go bed afterwards, lol :D

will

wisewood
17-09-03, 11:54 AM
working nights when i first started here three eyars ago before they messed about with all the shifts n everything n put me back on days.

Place is dead quiet, no distractions - nobody to tell you what to do - and i was on 30% more money than the people doing my job in the day!

Now am the only person doing my job - do the whole workload myself in 10- hours instead of between three of us spread over 24 hours. Sounds bad but isnt really as i have refined how i work so that everything is easy and runs smoothly most of the time, the bosses leave me to it coz i dont make mistakes and if i do they dont know how to fix them > and i am earning more than when i was on nights in the first place lol.

Wouldnt wanna work nights now though - dont think the missus would like me leaving her as she was just gonna go to bed.

Dicko
17-09-03, 11:56 AM
last 2 summers i worked in telford/stafford 8pm-8am so leave house at 7pm and get in at 9:30am. for ?500 a week i wasnt bothered if i got no sleep :)

wisewood
17-09-03, 12:03 PM
I once worked on shift - 3pm until 8:45am.

Now that was fookin tiring i can tell you - that would explain why at 8:45am (still 3 hours before i was due to finish) i crashed a forklift truck then :lol:

That shift paid me ?9 per hour for the first 12 huors and ?18 per hour for every hour above that.

So i would have earned 270 quid from one days work - but it was less than that coz of the accident - although i did get the whole summer off and lived on incapacity benefit for months lol.

Dicko
17-09-03, 01:24 PM
and you live on imcompetance benefit now :twisted:

wisewood
17-09-03, 01:28 PM
uncommitted benefit actually!

jkhilton
17-09-03, 02:04 PM
Best bet for when you work nights is, for example, if you'r going in to work on Monday night, stay up as late as possible Sunday night, sleep until Monday afternoon (say 2pm ish) go to work at night, sleep when you get home, that's how I do it (I do 2 day shifts 7am to 7pm, 24 hours off, 2 night shifts 7pm to 7am - then 4 days off).

Where do you work mate? that is the exact shift pattern I am doing. I have just started work for Red Squared in Altirincham. I start my shifts on Tuesday next week. 2days,2nights, 4days off. 7am-7pm and 7pm - 7am.

I'm doing remote server support.

?Marty?
17-09-03, 04:37 PM
First time Ive done night shifts before, anyone fill me in on what to expect?

Yes. You will be, erm, working during the night instead of the day. So, erm, expect to do that.

wisewood
17-09-03, 05:09 PM
depends where you are working.

at night if there are few people around it can seem very eery at times and often you start hearing things (or maybe just me)

its colder - its darker and if you use a computer system - it will break during hte night when there is no support for you :lol:

Gazza14SR
17-09-03, 06:12 PM
o the funny man

Barn
17-09-03, 06:42 PM
So i would have earned 270 quid from one days work - but it was less than that coz of the accident - although i did get the whole summer off and lived on incapacity benefit for months lol.

LMAO, hope u were ok old-chap, but that is well funny, im fcukin crying larfin

Jules
17-09-03, 06:42 PM

Where do you work mate? that is the exact shift pattern I am doing. I have just started work for Red Squared in Altirincham. I start my shifts on Tuesday next week. 2days,2nights, 4days off. 7am-7pm and 7pm - 7am.

I'm doing remote server support.

Port Of Felixstowe "Britains Premier Port" - I have to add that add the end by contract!! (Not really!!)

I think the firemen work that shift pattern aswell, tbh I quite like it, if you keep in mind on your first day that you only have to do one more day then get 24 hours off, and in you first night shift remind yourself that you only have one more to do thenyou're off for 4 days!!
Love it.
:D

locky
17-09-03, 09:34 PM
Weekend events at the Rink are fun!
Work fri nite till bout 8, av a kip sat morn, back in sat afternoon bout 12,
av a kip whenever u can, then work till sun afternoon till u drop! :lol:
But the raves are well fun!
buzzin off red bull :roll:

Chris LR
17-09-03, 11:29 PM
Only ever worked one night, well we said we were going to, then went home 15 mins after the boss went, then came back in 30 mins early the next day, we yawned alot and he let us go home again at lunchtime.

sh0rty
18-09-03, 12:17 AM
LMFAO!!! nice one :lol:

i dont get to work nights cos i work with kids, but i work 7.30am - 6pm Mon-Fri so i think that is bad enough :roll:

Chris LR
18-09-03, 12:25 AM
What I think is bad is this

I can't remember the last full week I had away from work & college. I know it wasn't this year, or last.....

Gazza14SR
18-09-03, 02:12 AM
What I think is bad is this

I can't remember the last full week I had away from work & college. I know it wasn't this year, or last.....

check this out, i managed to skank so much time off last year, i ended up only doing 1 full week! and we only get 26holidays.

course, my register didnt say that :wink: