PDA

View Full Version : Which cams (20xe)

Scottcooper85
31-12-14, 11:18 AM
Probably and age old topic, I've searched about but not found what I'm looking for so thought I'd put a thread up.
im after cams for my 20xe which I have just bought bike carbs, mappable ignition, Ashley manifold and a stainless 2.25 system for. Question it what to put between them? I'm building it for fast road use and maybe the odd light track event so not after cams that have ridiculous lift but also obviously don't want to waste money on pointless ones.
is it worth getting some to suit standard Pistons? Or should I wait and save up and do a full internal build with autosprint or wossner Pistons (which is have to wait for)?
id realistically like to aim for a reliable 190-200hp in the long term.

cheers Scott

philip
01-01-15, 09:19 PM
Get pistons pocketed or replacement pistons and run something like 270newman. Can be used on std springs, retainers. Or fit forged pistons, spring kit and a more aggressive hyd profile.

Basic fast road cams for std pistons arent worth the sacrifice of mid range bhp or torque for there gains.

Scottcooper85
02-01-15, 11:25 AM
So stuff like Newman ph1, Kent 1612 & qed 42h not really worth the bother then? didnt know if they'd be okay for road use.

philip
02-01-15, 11:57 AM
Ill have too try and find rr printouts of a jenveyd xe I had with the 1612s and std cams. About 4bhp gain at wheels a few hundred rpm higher. But the loss of mid range/torque between them for the bhp gain isnt worth it. Ive got rr of a high comp xe on 270 newmans and r1 carbs ill try and find. Made 190@6.5k atw. Drove really well tbh.

Scottcooper85
02-01-15, 12:24 PM
I think best bet is to save up and do Pistons, arp bolts, cams, ports, springs, etc next winter then. Cheers for the advice, if you could find any printouts that would be great.