PDA

View Full Version : write offs

millworm
28-12-14, 05:08 PM
so i crashed my daily and will be taking my time fixing her so in the mean time i bought another car witch is a cat c write off from a mate. now the plan was to vic test and be done with but have had people telling me that even though it's taxed and tested in my mates name still that i can't drive it apprt from to the test site and back, how true is this? surley as long as its taxed and tested and i'm insured then it's ok to drive on the road untill the test day? then when he receives the log book I can tax it myself ect

jimbob-mcgrew
28-12-14, 05:24 PM
i was under the impression, if there was any major problems with the car, the company wont insure you.

if theyve insured you, should be ok ?

millworm
28-12-14, 05:27 PM
Yeah it was a dented wing, written off because it wasn't economical for the company

Lee H
28-12-14, 05:35 PM
After a cat c write off the current mot becomes invalid.

jimbob-mcgrew
28-12-14, 05:48 PM
After a cat c write off the current mot becomes invalid.

oh really ?

so a car has to go for a re-test after that ? ... to check everythings in safe order

millworm
28-12-14, 05:49 PM
Surley it'd be showing as canceled then? I only assume it's a cat c seeing as it needs a vic check

raf24
28-12-14, 06:01 PM
I bought a golf gti a few years back that was a cat C,it was the January i bought it and it had been mot'd in the September but needed a vic test to be put back on the road so the mot was still valid even though it needed a vic,is it still showing as being mot'd?

millworm
28-12-14, 06:02 PM
yeah still mot'd and taxed as it's still in my mates name because we don't have the v5 till we vic test it

millworm
28-12-14, 06:03 PM
so the real question would be can i or can't i drive it in the run up to the vic test?

raf24
28-12-14, 06:06 PM
I did with mine,as long as it is insured.

raf24
28-12-14, 06:13 PM
it's like an mot in that respect,you can only drive it to the vic test..i.e you cant just drive around in it until the vic is passed,all vosa do is check the identity and vin etc to make sure it is what it is supposed to be,not been rung etc.

millworm
28-12-14, 06:14 PM
hmm ok need to push them for a date then other wise its a big old waste of cash

raf24
28-12-14, 06:19 PM
It was around 40 quid if I remember right,my appointment was around the middle of January,freezing cold Monday morning at 7 am,can remember asking the woman at the test station on the Friday before 'have you nothing earlier? ' lol

millworm
28-12-14, 06:29 PM
nearest test station is in central london so will be a nice little drive lol, don't know how quickly i'll get a response as you have to book through the dvla

raf24
28-12-14, 06:37 PM
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check/taking-your-car-for-a-vic-test

it tells you there that if the car has an mot then you don't need another one.

millworm
28-12-14, 06:39 PM
cheers man, all this lark it'd have been easier to finish my loon and use that lol

raf24
28-12-14, 06:43 PM
Ha ha,try and find the phone number for the vosa station you intend on using and contact them direct,i got more joy that way..you may get a cancellation or something which will make it quicker for you.

millworm
28-12-14, 06:45 PM
yeah didn't think of that, assumed that was the only way to apply

raf24
28-12-14, 06:50 PM
Hope it goes ok for you.

millworm
28-12-14, 06:51 PM
cheers mate same here or i'll be without a car again

raf24
28-12-14, 07:07 PM
No probs pal.

Lee H
28-12-14, 07:43 PM
I thought a new mot was needed after the vic. I had a 2007 cat C type R that was written off in 2009 and had its first mot in 2009 even though new cars don't have them for 3 years.

Edit - I may be wrong, think you might have to have an mot before the vic hence my old car having an early one.

dgbnova#1
28-12-14, 08:03 PM
Think it needs to be moted to take it to vic check all the ones I have done (prob 25 cat c cars 40+ cat d cars) all the cat C cars were moted first but ----- they also did not have mot at the time of purchase so I did them anyway
you will need to book it ASAP as you join a que for a date

if you are picked up on ANPR it will show as registered as cat C not checked or needs vic check do you REALY need to be stoped in a non legal car I doubt it

millworm
28-12-14, 08:09 PM
thanks for making it clear mate, no i don't. how long where the ques? because i can't really drive my mum's car long term

dgbnova#1
28-12-14, 08:40 PM
They can tell you
I booked mine the day I collected a car before if possable then say it was 3 weeks that's how long I had to fix it ready for test all areas will be different times id guess a Central London one will be busy tbh only a phone call will confirm though

blue_peg_16v
29-12-14, 09:49 AM
Last one I did was a 6 week wait for the Doncaster site

joff-turbo-nova
29-12-14, 11:09 PM
I am currently in the process of sorting this for the wife's new run around.

The order in which you need to sort things is :-

a) Get the vehicle insured
b) Book the MOT and drive to the MOT station
c) Book the VIC check - you are allowed to drive to and from the DVLA site to do this
d) Once passed a VIC test, and the marker is removed, you can then apply for the tax (vehicle licence duty)

Once declared a Cat C , this null and voids the current MOT, therefore until the above steps have been completed then you cannot legally drive the vehicle on the road until a) - d) are completed.

To be honest the VIC check just looks at the VIN numbers to make sure everything matches and that the repairs are visually OK . This is not an in depth mechanical check , they leave this to the MOT station.

Joff

mowgli
30-12-14, 08:40 AM
op, remember that transferring ownership also renders the current tax invalid, under the new rules.

Andy
30-12-14, 09:47 AM
Plus rep joff.finally a proper answer rather than pure guessing

millworm
30-12-14, 12:18 PM
Yeah, thanks guys. Approval for a vic test was granted so gonna book it today, with regards to tax it hasn't legally changed hands yet as I don't have the log book because the dvla won't send it untill it's tested

mowgli
30-12-14, 12:23 PM
and when it arrives, you will then have to tax it. it was up to the previous owner to cash in the old tax.

millworm
30-12-14, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I got it booked in for 19th witch is relatively quick for one I guess

millworm
19-01-15, 06:00 PM
All passed today, another Dagenham dustbin on the road lol only took 5 mins for the test but over 2 hours to get there. not much else to say really other than the office staff where proper rude. Defo wouldn't buy another cat c though too much hassle for my impatience haha.

DaveMarshall
19-01-15, 07:43 PM
There are talks about them getting rid of Vic checks for cat c vehicles, not sure if it will ever happen though.

Dave.

millworm
19-01-15, 08:13 PM
Yeah there scrapping them in October

conza123
19-01-15, 08:52 PM
Yeah there scrapping them in October
Cat d's ftw ;)

millworm
19-01-15, 11:21 PM
Can't belive yours was only a cat d lol but then again yours is worth a lot more than my old shed. Mine only had a dent and they write it off haha