PDA

View Full Version : Quiet exhaust for an XE

marc69
26-12-14, 09:26 PM
I am usuing my xe now as an everyday car and the scorpion exhaust has a great sound but I am now finding it wearing all the time (I am over 40 lol).

Is there an existing type of backbox or exhaust system that is reasonably inexpensive?

Thanks

EwanG
26-12-14, 09:37 PM
Hi marc well done for continually using a nova for daily and track use :thumb:. Have you tried earplugs ;). Not much help am I lol

marc69
26-12-14, 09:39 PM
Apart from one year (I ran a corsa, very boring) I have always used a Nova for my everyday car....totally mad aren't I lol

EwanG
26-12-14, 09:41 PM
You cant be that nuts if you know you are nuts! lollollollol

millworm
27-12-14, 01:02 AM
Custom if you want shiny but what about a std system adapted to fit?

jimbob-mcgrew
27-12-14, 02:33 AM
what about a std system adapted to fit?

^ i'd probably do that myself if i were you.
something like a 1.8 or 2 litre system from a cavalier/astra or whatnot, and cut/adapted to fit the silencers into your current system.
if youve got access to a welder, you could do it yourself, for the price of the silencers. otherwise it might cost a fair bit in labour, to get someone else to do it.

i'd imagine it would probably steal a little bit of hi-rpm power over what you currently have, but it'll probably be pretty stealth, and would help with the noise drone headache.
it might even make it smoother to drive, lower down the rev band (for the daily driver side)

blue_peg_16v
27-12-14, 09:39 AM
Is there room to fit another box into the scorpion system?

marc69
27-12-14, 11:27 AM
The scorpion system has a middle box but I see the ideas about the tailpipe, might investigate this one further thanks.

therealnovaboy
27-12-14, 07:55 PM
Just fit one of these after the manifold. Cut out a section and clamp it in at each end.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121507563608?nav=SEARCH

or make one by raiding your local exhaust fitters skip.

marc69
28-12-14, 01:17 PM
Is this a mental idea.....I have a spare 1.3 tailpipe, if I wrap spome metal round the joint and weld it to make it the correct thickness, will that work or will there be too much air pressure from the engine?