PDA

View Full Version : adjusting fuel mixture (2e carb?)

turbojolt
21-12-14, 08:34 PM
I have a twin choke carb from a 1.3sr and its massively overfueling my engine to the point when I touch the throttle it just dies!

it stinks of fuel on idle and the plugs are wet when the throttle kills it...so how do I go about adjusting the mixture?

see in my Haynes manual that there is a mixture screw but my spaz brain cant work out if I need to wind the screw in or out to reduce the fuel...also how do I know when its spot on is it just a task of pulling the plugs every ten mins to see how they look or is there a easier way?

cheers

millworm
21-12-14, 09:35 PM
In to reduce

jimbob-mcgrew
21-12-14, 10:14 PM
its the tiny flat head on the side of the carb, at the back. if looking from the drivers side.

id probably wind it all the way in myself, and then back it off just an 8th of a turn.

you might have to play around with the secondary throttle setting too, on the otherside of the carb, as thats its main dump of fuel

jimbob-mcgrew
21-12-14, 10:17 PM
interesting the 1.3 carb is overfueling a 1.4.

must be the settings

jimbob-mcgrew
21-12-14, 10:22 PM
check the auto choke settings too. it might be stuck on slightly, which causes over-fueling too

turbojolt
22-12-14, 01:47 PM
Seemed strange to me aswell...i check the flaps and they both stay closed untill untill the throttle is touched

jimbob-mcgrew
22-12-14, 01:52 PM
is it running with the 12ST cam ?

marc69
22-12-14, 02:11 PM
Have you checked the choke is off?

You might also need to check that the idle air jet isn't blocked.

Take the mixture in until it is just still turning, adjust the idle speed with the screw at the throttle.

Then turn the idle out and you will hear when it is completely even and higher at speed, this is when it it more or less right, do not turn the screw any further out (I assume you know this only works at normal engine temperature).

If it is stalling as you press the pedal that does not sound like a idle mixture issue, sounds more like a blocked jet, sticking choke or leak from the carb to manifold (might also explain the fuel smell)?

Hope this helps

turbojolt
22-12-14, 07:31 PM
Yer its got the std 12st cam

So are you saying theixture screw just sets the idle mixture?

turbojolt
22-12-14, 07:33 PM
The smell isnt neat fuel its the smell you get when something is runninh rich