PDA

View Full Version : Ecentric top mounts

Benn
18-12-14, 11:28 PM
Tell me about alloy top mounts...

How much harder will the ride be? Looking at Gaz'es own ecentric camber correcting mounts as i do have alot of camber..
Are these any good? Easy to adjust?

Tell me all.

Southie
19-12-14, 06:04 AM
Have you looked at adjustable camber bolts Ben?
http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Powerflex-Front-Camber-Adjustment-Bolt-Kit.html

torquey
19-12-14, 07:46 AM
I had them on my gaz coilovers. Found them very noisy when turing the wheel. Dropped the ride height quite a bit though. Felt lighter to steer.

Will F
19-12-14, 03:03 PM
As long as the bearings are good and tight, you wont notice the ride quality unless you live in a particularly bumpy area...

Stuart
19-12-14, 03:04 PM
the oem mounts shouldnt have much/any compliance in them, so the gaz mounts again shouldnt offere a difference in that respect.

Benn
19-12-14, 05:26 PM
Have you looked at adjustable camber bolts Ben?
http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Powerflex-Front-Camber-Adjustment-Bolt-Kit.html

Yes, but you still have to elongate the top hub mounting hole, which i don't like.

I had them on my gaz coilovers. Found them very noisy when turing the wheel. Dropped the ride height quite a bit though. Felt lighter to steer.

Dry bearings? I guess they are short in depth than std mounts so they will. I like it low tho so am good.
Lighter steering is good!

As long as the bearings are good and tight, you wont notice the ride quality unless you live in a particularly bumpy area...

THey'll be new so i'd hope the bearings where tight and good.
It is quite bumpy around here...lol

the oem mounts shouldnt have much/any compliance in them, so the gaz mounts again shouldnt offere a difference in that respect.

THat's good.

Will i need to open my top mount holes up in the turret...

brucer
19-12-14, 06:22 PM
You dont need to elongate the shocker bolt hole or hub, the lobe adjusts the hub in and out.

Pain in the **** to set up IMO, but more finer adjustment that topmounts.

Benn
20-12-14, 09:20 AM
All the reviews i've read say you have too.... That's why i went off them...

brucer
20-12-14, 09:34 AM
I had a set of eibach ones many years ago on my koni set up and didnt have to modify anything. The width of the bolt with the lobe is the same width as a standard bolt.

If you elongate the shocker hole then you adjust camber on that with standard bolts. I got this with the spax coilovers on my vec, its terrible for fine adjustment with it sat on its wheels, even when on a ramp

Benn
20-12-14, 10:32 AM
Ah ok that's not to bad then. But yeah getting to them isn't easy. But then i'd buy a gauge and do it my self so....

phunkynova
20-12-14, 10:48 AM
I have used camber adjusting bolts on the rally car but found out no matter what I did with them they all ways moved and throw the camber and tracking out at some point during the rally. I now only use eccentric top mounts with adjustable lower arms.

bazil
20-12-14, 02:51 PM
I have used camber adjusting bolts on the rally car but found out no matter what I did with them they all ways moved and throw the camber and tracking out at some point during the rally. I now only use eccentric top mounts with adjustable lower arms.

Seen this happen, quick fix is to tack weld the washers in place once the setup has been zeroed in, a bit pikey but effective.

Benn
21-12-14, 10:41 AM
Which is also something i'd read about and dislike.

Any one know how much will need to be opened up on the turret top?

bazil
21-12-14, 06:35 PM
Check out CP's 1600 track car build, iirc there was a few good pics in there of the required elongation.

Btw proper camber bolts should not need the elongating of the strutt body bolt hole, they are simply an off centre headed bolt.

Nick J
21-12-14, 07:59 PM
Running the mounts upside down gives you more adjustment. Had no issues with comfort when using them as I didn't think it felt any different to stock top mounts and coilovers personally. Only issue I had is with the noise they make as they tend to knock their sack off. But I have heard since for some reason this is more found with gaz setups than any other. Corsa c's have same issues Apparantly.

Edit... Another issue you'll have is the end plates on your brace... Internally they need shaving or catch on the top mount if you run them the correct way up that is.

Nick.

Benn
21-12-14, 09:10 PM
Cheers Nick, running htem upside down, means now messing with the turret which would be nice.
Shaving some of the brace down doesnt worry me. Glad it wont affect the ride too. Might get some.
But at the mo, it might be my gear box giving me probs... :cry: