PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Advice

cb_motorsport
11-12-14, 10:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I need some advice regarding the fuel tank in my Nova rally car.

It is an in-tank pump fuel tank (pump sits in the top of the tank, beneath the rear seat) and it has a twist-on type fuel sender (located at the read of the tank). The car is on Jenvey injectiom throttle bodies so has a return to the tank.

What I need to know is what model Nova this is from as I need to source a replacement tank. From what I understand, it is not from a GTE/GSI? I have been told it may be an SPI tank? If so, what Nova's were these found in?

Does anybody have the correct tank I am after for sale?

Your advice is appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

Southie
11-12-14, 10:18 PM
This may help:

When using a carb tank, there is no swirl pot in the tank. The swirl pot holds a reserve of fuel if you like, and when you corner hard this reserve of fuel is still able to be put through the pump, even though the petrol in the tank is all being shoved out of the way of the supply line opening because of the cornering G.

So a swirl pot in a fuel injection tank is the best way forward.
The GTE / GSi / SRi fuel pumps are fine for the 20XE, as is of course a 20XE fuel pump. The Spi 1.4i (single injector) pump cannot flow enough fuel at a high enough pressure for the 20XE though, so you will need to replace this pump if it is the model you have.

chris gsi
11-12-14, 10:20 PM
As far as I know the spi tank will be fitted to the later 1.2i/1.4i novas

therealnovaboy
12-12-14, 08:51 PM
As above. And 3dr/4dr/saloon/hatch are a different shape. New tanks come up on eBay but the descriptions arnt too clear to what they are for. It's the pumps and senders that are hard to find.

The mpi tanks have external pumps. They don't have a swirl pot inside it's just a baffle round the pick up so it's not that great.

mowgli
12-12-14, 10:32 PM
OP, you need a '90 onwards 1.2i tank. they only did a 1.2i with the in tank pump.

the 1.4i can have an in tank pump or an external one.