PDA

View Full Version : Skimming

phunkynova
11-12-14, 09:58 AM
I'm buying a new Piper BP300 Camshaft due to my Autosprint one breaking after only 1500 Km. I've been told I should skim the cam carrier down a bit to get the best out of this cam but not been told who much to skim by, dose anybody know how much should be taken off the cam carrier ? in metric system when possible. :thumb:

Engine: 1.4 L, 8 valve se head on nz block.

Stuart
11-12-14, 10:07 AM
you dont need to, whoever told you that is a ****.

mowgli
11-12-14, 10:55 AM
are you running solid or hydraulic lifters?

therealnovaboy
11-12-14, 10:58 AM
Piper says so. Give them a phone

http://www.pipercams.co.uk/pipercams/www/product.php?pid=A13BP300H

boffer8
11-12-14, 01:56 PM
If piper says so, you ring them and ask them how much you need to skim off ;-)

phunkynova
11-12-14, 02:08 PM
I'm using hydraulic lifters and it was the guy from Piper that told me this but He could not tell me how much to take off the cam carrier :wtf:.

Stuart
11-12-14, 03:45 PM
with hydraulics it wont gain any lift or duration, and all it will do is mess with the timing marks.

mowgli
11-12-14, 04:58 PM
/\ my thoughts exactly.

therealnovaboy
12-12-14, 09:22 AM
with hydraulics it wont gain any lift or duration, and all it will do is mess with the timing marks.

It might be more to do with the angle the lobe hits the follower to stop it pinging the follower off.

Iain
12-12-14, 09:59 AM
If the manufacturer doesn't know what you need to do with his own product then that doesn't fill you with confidence!

therealnovaboy
12-12-14, 10:16 AM
If the manufacturer doesn't know what you need to do with his own product then that doesn't fill you with confidence!

No. Hopefully you just spoke to a mong that only answers phones and makes the tea. Somebody will know it's just a matter of finding someone that knows what they are on about

phunkynova
12-12-14, 10:54 AM
Conversions with Piper where and are all done via email.

Quote Adam from Piper:
Hello Graham,

I’m afraid I do not have a figure for the amount that needs to be removed from the cam carrier, this should be evident upon fitting. :wtf:

meritlover
12-12-14, 12:02 PM
There's your answer then.

phunkynova
12-12-14, 12:40 PM
Adam's answer is as much use as a pron magazine to a blind man.

mowgli
12-12-14, 07:30 PM
phunkynova. if you aren't getting any leaks from your cam carrier, then simply clean it up & use it as is.

the oval racers skim their heads & cam carriers down, but everyone else doesn't

meritlover
12-12-14, 07:47 PM
I think I read somewhere that Piper doesnt know anything about camshafts.

therealnovaboy
12-12-14, 08:34 PM
Maybe Adam knows why you have to skim your carrier.

I'm sure it's to do with the the angle the follower sits at when the tappet is jacked up. The follower has to be at the angle how it was designed or you will be stressing the follower and cam love or risking it falling off the valve/tappet. However how that becomes obvious when fitting the carrier i have no idea.

mowgli
12-12-14, 10:26 PM
the thing about a high lift cam is that the lobes don't suddenly get bigger, but the rest of it gets smaller. the hydraulic lifter will sort this out, unless the cam is massively machined to a point where there is a chance of the follower/lifter coming out.

if this particular cam is that extreme, i would think that the cam mfr would know exactly what the skimming dimension would be.. also the cam would hardly be useful on a road/rally spec engine, but no doubt it would be used on a race engine

phunkynova
13-12-14, 03:00 PM
You feel this camshaft is a bit too much Mowgil ?.

therealnovaboy
13-12-14, 08:20 PM

Judging by your YouTube videos no. The only time you go below 5000rpm is when you hit a bore.

mowgli
14-12-14, 09:13 AM

i dunno to be honest.. it looks like its going to give you a massive power-band. the spec i looked at said it is used on the ovals as well as a rally cam. what was the spec of the old one?

do you have an old oe cam knocking about to compare the cam size to? this would help work out the skim dimension.

obviously, you would need to use a vernier pulley & a dial gauge (or drill the middle out of a spark plug & put a rod down it) to get the cam timing spot on.

Andy
14-12-14, 09:44 AM
If its for oval it will rev its cunnt off.it will like mowgli said,have a big power band.

mowgli
14-12-14, 11:14 AM
its something like 3000-7500.... that's plenty for most things....

possibly too much for prolonged use with a stock bottom end

phunkynova
14-12-14, 12:36 PM
I'll give Piper a call Monday and ask a few questions.
Thanks for all the good input on this one I appreciate it.

mowgli
14-12-14, 12:39 PM
i think you might need to remove a couple of mm, this will be interesting to find out what they say. remember to ask about cam timing & vernier pulley settings too

phunkynova
14-12-14, 12:45 PM
I will do and post on here what I find out.

Stuart
14-12-14, 08:47 PM
I've driven a 1600 with a bp300 and a same spec engine with an ast2, the bp300 was far too pay to be a fun drive IMHO. For a great all round drive I'd opt for the ast2 over the bp300 lol

phunkynova
15-12-14, 09:45 AM
Spoke with Tim from Piper today and say for my car which used only as a rally car then the BP300 is the one to go for and I need to do a dry fit to see that all the followers are just touch the cam even at the lowest part of the cam if not then I need to skim the carrier to suit, he said it can be up to 40 thou needs taking off.
As for timing there will be a info sheet with the cam.