PDA

View Full Version : how to test a knackered fuel pump?

turbojolt
04-12-14, 11:11 AM
A cam driven fuel pump anyway to test if its faulty before i just buy a replacement?

jimbob-mcgrew
04-12-14, 11:18 AM
i fit a clear fuel filter between the pump and carb, so can see how its pumping/flowing.

altho before that, i used to just unplug the hose from the carb, and stick it in a clear glass bottle, and fire the car up.
it will run for a little while, with the remaining fuel left in the float bowl, and if its gushing out fairly quickly into the bottle, usually a good sign its ok.
if its just trickling, or has an uneven flow into the bottle, it might mean its knackered.... altho the issue may not always be the pump. if the tank-side hose is clogged up, or the breather hose is pinched, it could be further back

turbojolt
04-12-14, 11:20 AM
Thats the problem it dosnt seem to be drawing fuel atall

turbojolt
04-12-14, 11:23 AM
I bought a clear filter but put it before the pump is that wrong :tard:

jimbob-mcgrew
04-12-14, 11:29 AM
nah not wrong, you can put them where you like. probably better before infact, as it saves the pump from getting poo in it.

errr.... you could try removing the pump, and submerging it into a large bowl of petrol, and manually pushing the plunger to make it squirt.

ive done this before on both good pumps and bad pumps, and the good ones blast petrol out all over the place within a couple of pumps, and the bad ones usually take 4 or 5 or more pumps before they squirt out

turbojolt
04-12-14, 11:31 AM
A large bowl of petrol im not made of money lol

jimbob-mcgrew
04-12-14, 12:13 PM
if you attach a hose to one end, with a jubilee, so its airtight, you can slide the hose into an empty coke bottle or anything like that. doesnt need to be a bowl.
as long as theres enough fuel in there to keep the hose submerged, while pumping

brainsnova
04-12-14, 01:55 PM
Try you u gauge lol might blow the water out

Alan lig
04-12-14, 02:10 PM
Could be pushrod worn , spring Brocken or cam lob worn ,pump not getting full travel . .

Jonesfach
04-12-14, 02:14 PM
Had an air blockage on mine after fitting new tank recently. Managed to unscrew where the fuel goes into the carb and turn it over for about 10 secs and all was good.
before doing this it was turning over for ages and ages with no fuel at carb.

turbojolt
04-12-14, 02:49 PM
Well i removed the pump submerged the incoming pipe into a can of fuel and tried manualy pumping it with a large pair of grips and nothing mot even a dribble

time to order a new pump i guess

jimbob-mcgrew
04-12-14, 02:57 PM
Well i removed the pump submerged the incoming pipe into a can of fuel and tried manualy pumping it with a large pair of grips and nothing mot even a dribble

time to order a new pump i guess

:thumb: the inner seals must be perished.

the 1.2 top end that you used... was it sat on the side, not being used for a long time ?

turbojolt
04-12-14, 03:01 PM
Nearly a year i think. before that it was barley used asfar as i know

jimbob-mcgrew
04-12-14, 03:03 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-Belmont-Carlton-Cavalier-Nova-Opel-Manta-Ascona-Fuel-Pump-New-/201220489431?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ed9ad00d7

mowgli
04-12-14, 03:04 PM
make sure you save the little black plastic block when you throw the old one away.. the new ones don't come with them.

turbojolt
04-12-14, 03:06 PM
Cheers mate. going to check my local motorfactors tomorrow first as i really preffer picking stuff up rather then wait around lol

turbojolt
04-12-14, 03:08 PM
make sure you save the little black plastic block when you throw the old one away.. the new ones don't come with them.

Im sure one came in my top end gasket set..but i will keep it safe anyway

Andy
04-12-14, 06:30 PM
it will have