PDA

View Full Version : stiff clutch

marc69
03-12-14, 12:43 PM
I didn't really think about it before the clutch cable snapped but since fitting the new one I have noticed the xe clutch feels stiffer than my small block Novas.

Is this normal (I assume it's a bigger clutch) or is this why my cable snapped (rather than just age)?

Iain
03-12-14, 12:47 PM
Check the bulkhead hole and make sure its not at a too severe angle.

marc69
03-12-14, 12:56 PM
The hole seem ok, I took the cable off the actual clutch and it slides back and forth fine.

Nobby
03-12-14, 01:36 PM
Defo the hole, its just part and parcel unless you can properly remount the bulkhead tube thing. Be prepared for more to snap lol

Iain
03-12-14, 02:13 PM
Uprated clutch cover plate?

jimbob-mcgrew
03-12-14, 04:12 PM
i think its just the extended angle of the cable. (gets pinched against the sheathing on the bend)

i heard someone say a while back, they they pumped a load of grease down inside the cable sheath, and it smooths out the pedal feel a bit, and prevents the cable snapping as easily

marc69
03-12-14, 04:51 PM
Thanks, I'll do that.

If it is kind of normal for the xe to be a little stiffer than the small blocks then that's ok. I never thought about it before it snapped (miles from home of course)!

jimbob-mcgrew
03-12-14, 05:42 PM
its a common thing for them to break, from what ive heard.

best to carry a spare in the boot, as it may happen again in the future.

i think the only way to fully remedy it, is to move/modify the bulkhead hole like nobby said, so that the cable has a less stressfull path. theres not much space down there.

some people have done away with the cable, and fitted a fluid system. but thats a pretty big job, gearbox off, and extra parts fitting, etc

brainsnova
03-12-14, 06:52 PM
Hydraulic clutch would make it so much better. Honda used an external slave cylinder so it could be possible without removing the gearbox

Southie
03-12-14, 09:57 PM
A mate of mine years ago had this trouble, he drilled a new larger hole in the bulkhead so the angle of the cable wasn't as harsh and fitted a larger rubber grommet in place so it had a little more movement.

if you do this remember thought to fill the old hole up with a rubber bung that has a blocked up end and seal it so no water can get in ;)

meritlover
04-12-14, 12:00 AM
Get a bigger boot.

Iain
04-12-14, 07:26 AM
Get a bigger boot.
To carry more spare cables in?

jimbob-mcgrew
04-12-14, 12:16 PM
cars with bigger boots are scientifically proven to snap less clutch cables lol