PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE engine with carb set-up

robnovadol
02-12-14, 08:41 PM
Hi there guys

Does anyone have any information on what inlet manifold I could use to go on a e16se engine? Have looked at the forum but had no joy.

Thanks in advance

p.s would I have to use twin 40's or could I stick to a 38 dgas that I already have?

millworm
02-12-14, 08:49 PM
The e16se Is a round port inlet. Some 1.4s use this I think. The manifolds for twin 40s come up quite a bit

robnovadol
31-12-14, 06:42 PM
Having put an inlet manifold off a 14nv engine, started her up and she is leaking at the bottom centre of the head ( manifold does not cover this ). have looked at the gte manifold and some sort of diaphragm is run off this. Does any body have any other ideas I could try before I have to source an ecu and loom or another engine?

meritlover
31-12-14, 06:47 PM
If you're on about the round EGR port then you need to plug it.

jimbob-mcgrew
31-12-14, 08:12 PM
hey rob.

the rectangular port 14nv inlet manifold your using will cause flow issues.
when the fuel and air meet the circular port head, it will catch and tumble.
ideally you want the same port shapes for proper flow.

instead of forking out hundreds on a new manifold, and carbs, etc, you could get something like this, and chop and aluminium weld your manifold to it, for a correct fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-C16SE-INLET-Manifold-Aluminium-Flange-Plate-/331428510275?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d2aadba43

or if youve got the gear to do it, and the skills, you could make one yourself using an e16se gasket as a template to work around.

upto you tho - depending on how much power you want, the twin carbs are usually higher performance

therealnovaboy
31-12-14, 09:38 PM
X16xzr engines are 1.6 single point injection with egr. You'd be easier getting a head and manifold from an xzr engine and fitting a carb, As the heads are square port.

jimbob-mcgrew
01-01-15, 03:57 AM
those engines are about 25 bhp less than the e16se.
the heads arent as good

Stuart
01-01-15, 09:04 AM
The only carbs you should be fitting to the 1600 are weber or dellllorto t40's (or worst case those ghey hat bike carbs)
fitting a single carb will most likely kill off a stack of power/torque which would be pointless and a crime against how good the 1600 is lol

therealnovaboy
01-01-15, 10:05 AM
those engines are about 25 bhp less than the e16se.
the heads arent as good

thats mainly due to the SPI as apposed to the MPI and superior manifold, cam, exhaust and map of the C16se. I dare say a round port head with a square port inlet would perform even worse than a square head and square inlet.

The only carbs you should be fitting to the 1600 are weber or dellllorto t40's (or worst case those ghey hat bike carbs)
fitting a single carb will most likely kill off a stack of power/torque which would be pointless and a crime against how good the 1600 is

I wouldnt think a single 32/34 webber on a 16se would be much worse than the MPI. I have heard of 1.4s with them put out close to 100HP. it would be a cheap mod to allow you to run a higher lift cam and higher revs

And not to mention the "standard look" 1.2/1.3 engine bay that has been done in the past.

Stuart
01-01-15, 01:22 PM
The mpi system (with suitable head and cam) will do 150bhp.... The t40's with the same head and cam will do the same.

a 32/34 would be a massive restriction on the excellent engine, but hey if its for insurance fraud then rock on

meritlover
01-01-15, 02:02 PM
Its not the MPI thats ever the problem. Its the management.

mowgli
01-01-15, 02:18 PM
a completely stock 1600 would insure for less & use way less fuel to get your 100hp than any carb

therealnovaboy
01-01-15, 03:36 PM
The mpi system (with suitable head and cam) will do 150bhp.... The t40's with the same head and cam will do the same.

youll never see 150hp with a standard ecu. its the standard ecu that is the restriction on the MPI, You cant even run a decent cam on it without issues.

in which case id say its a cost effective mod.

mowgli
01-01-15, 08:48 PM
A decent mapable ecu will be less money than a decent set of carbs and manifold

meritlover
01-01-15, 08:49 PM
A decent mapable ecu will be less money than a decent set of carbs and manifold

how many times have i said this?

turbojolt
01-01-15, 08:58 PM
Ecu might be but doubt it wil be cheaper after paying someone to map it

meritlover
01-01-15, 09:02 PM

A decent base map will be 10x better than any of the cobbled together randomly assembled contraptions that are discussed on here.

therealnovaboy
01-01-15, 09:14 PM
A single 32/34 webber carb and manifold will be cheaper than an ecu and probably make more power than a mpi manifold on a standard ECU

Stuart
02-01-15, 08:53 AM
I'm soooooo sorry that you can read what was written but not understand that what wasn't written wasn't a requirement.... Not I didn't mention the ecu once. Of course you'd need to do something about that to hit most power steps over 110bhp, but the point was someone thought the mpi system was a limit, when its only the ecu (and head/cam) that's really the problem rather than lobbing on some manky old twin choke carb to ruin a perfectly good engine

meritlover
02-01-15, 10:11 AM
I'm soooooo sorry that you can read what was written but not understand that what wasn't written wasn't a requirement.... Not I didn't mention the ecu once. Of course you'd need to do something about that to hit most power steps over 110bhp, but the point was someone thought the mpi system was a limit, when its only the ecu (and head/cam) that's really the problem rather than lobbing on some manky old twin choke carb to ruin a perfectly good engine

i dont know who or what this was directed at, but i dont think anyone disagrees with you... too much coffee this morning?

mowgli
02-01-15, 10:28 AM

as opposed to finding someone who can actually still set up some carbs properly

turbojolt
02-01-15, 10:43 AM
as opposed to finding someone who can actually still set up some carbs properly

Correct. plenty of people still about that are more then capable to set carbs

mowgli
02-01-15, 12:02 PM
and very expensive....

turbojolt
02-01-15, 01:42 PM
And mappers only charge 6.50 ph?

jimbob-mcgrew
02-01-15, 05:09 PM
i think his 38 dgas will work fine on that engine.

from what i remember, its a synchronised twin choke carb, thats used on some big cc ford v6's, so in theory should be more than capable of flooding a 1.6, 4-cylinder with fuel.

he just needs the right manifold for it to work on the e16se head

Stuart
02-01-15, 06:54 PM
i think his 38 dgas will work fine on that engine.

from what i remember, its a synchronised twin choke carb, thats used on some big cc ford v6's, so in theory should be more than capable of flooding a 1.6, 4-cylinder with fuel.

he just needs the right manifold for it to work on the e16se head

at which point he won't find an off the shelf manifold, and therefore need something properly custom (either by bodge mod or full scratch fabrication) and exceed the cost of doing 40's or management by atleast 200-300% lol

meritlover
02-01-15, 06:58 PM
just bolt a side draft SU in place of the TB.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-01-15, 07:09 PM
at which point he won't find an off the shelf manifold, and therefore need something properly custom (either by bodge mod or full scratch fabrication) and exceed the cost of doing 40's or management by atleast 200-300% lol

you can get round port flange plates off ebay for £38.
i dont know how much it would cost to get it tig welded to his manifold.

just bolt a side draft SU in place of the TB.

ive heard someone mention they do this in stock rods, or some other motorsport. is it any good ?

meritlover
02-01-15, 07:20 PM
I've heard someone mention they do this in stock rods, or some other motorsport. is it any good ?

probably not, but it beats some of the suggestions so far.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-01-15, 07:58 PM
lol

turbojolt
02-01-15, 08:05 PM
wack a 1200 head on it loads more mani/carb options and the compression will make it a full blowen racecar!

or a nova with a conrod through the block lol