PDA

View Full Version : jamming a cambelt on, between the crank pulley

jimbob-mcgrew
30-11-14, 05:44 PM
is it possible to force/feed an 8v cambelt on, between the crank sprocket and pulley, without taking the pulley off ?

just wanting to know, as im putting together an * if sh!t happens * spare parts bag, for breakdown assistance.

im just thinking worse case scenario, a snapped cambelt, and would be able to fit another one, on the side of the road with minimal gear, just a 10mm spanner, and an allen key.

therealnovaboy
30-11-14, 06:32 PM
I doubt it. youd get it off but not on again and keep the right tension. You might be able to with the later cam belt with the extra tensioner.

for the chances of a timing belt snapping I wouldnt bother taking tools "just in case". youd be better carrying a bus pass with you.

mowgli
30-11-14, 06:46 PM
just make sure you can get the pulley off.. the crank bolt doesn't need massively overtightening like most garages do it, and you could do the old trick of putting loctite on the bolt head and the washer instead of the thread

meritlover
30-11-14, 07:10 PM
Why not change the belt at the recommended interval, thus preventing a snap in the first place?

Forcing the belt over the outer pulley will require such twisting and folding of the belt that it would result in another premature failure.

Fwiw. You can actually fit a new belt without having to slacken the water pump if you are really stuck.

Andy
30-11-14, 07:24 PM
sometimes I wonder if these questions are real.

meritlover
30-11-14, 07:43 PM
This is one of the better ones.

Andy
30-11-14, 07:46 PM
But seriously,how far are ya gonna go with this "if sh1t happens kit"?
Tow along another bodyshell? an engine crane in a box with another lump sat on top?
As said,aslong as the belts changed at the interval or before-(for the sake of £12ffs its retarded not to!) why the hell would it snap?

therealnovaboy
30-11-14, 07:50 PM
youd be as well take a new water pump with you and do the job properly when the belt snaps.

jimbob-mcgrew
30-11-14, 07:58 PM
Why not change the belt at the recommended interval, thus preventing a snap in the first place?

Forcing the belt over the outer pulley will require such twisting and folding of the belt that it would result in another premature failure.

Fwiw. You can actually fit a new belt without having to slacken the water pump if you are really stuck.

its been changed already. but things can break from time to time. id rather be half-way prepared if possible.
it would only be a temporary thing, to get the car back home.

I doubt it. youd get it off but not on again and keep the right tension. You might be able to with the later cam belt with the extra tensioner.

for the chances of a timing belt snapping I wouldnt bother taking tools "just in case". youd be better carrying a bus pass with you.

i have an allen key for the water pump tension, so no probs tightening it.
ive broken down in the past, almost 9 miles away from anything, and i had to walk for hours before i found a bus. i only just had enough change for it too.

just make sure you can get the pulley off.. the crank bolt doesn't need massively overtightening like most garages do it, and you could do the old trick of putting loctite on the bolt head and the washer instead of the thread

i could do it that way, and be guaranteed it would work. it just means i need to buy more tools for the kit, and make the kit larger. was just trying to keep the kit as minimal as i could, taking up as little boot room, and cost as poss.

sometimes I wonder if these questions are real.

lol

mowgli
30-11-14, 07:59 PM
a new cambelt from a decent mfr will last 2 years. they don't cost much, they rarely go wrong when changed regularly, so don't worry about it.

therealnovaboy
30-11-14, 08:03 PM
is the crank pully bolt not a 17 socket. surely thats right up on your list for an emergency.

jimbob-mcgrew
30-11-14, 08:04 PM
But seriously,how far are ya gonna go with this "if sh1t happens kit"?
Tow along another bodyshell? an engine crane in a box with another lump sat on top?
As said,aslong as the belts changed at the interval or before-(for the sake of £12ffs its retarded not to!) why the hell would it snap?

ive got a spare :

- coil
- dizzy cap
- rotor arm
- 2 plug leads
- 2 plugs
- short length of fuel hose
- cambelt
- some wire for electrical repairs
- jump leads
- first aid kit

i just need a fuel pump to finish it, as they can sometimes suddenly fail too, happened to me before

could probably do with a clutch cable too, as ive had one snap in the past, altho i managed to clutchless shift the car back home.
ive had a throttle cable snap on me in the past before too, managed to fix that with a length of string coming in through the passenger window lol

therealnovaboy
30-11-14, 08:13 PM
most of that should last 60000 miles if maintained in the right condition. my first aid kit consists of -

1 litre 0il
500ml gearbox oil
spare wheel
a jack
17 socket
19 socket
24 socket (or whatever it is for the castle nuts)
50 mm radiator hose
tie wraps
jubilee clip
jump leads
a king lead
flat screw driver
plug key
sewing pin
electrical tape
length of wire
5 and 6 mm allen key
pliers
vice grips
10 mm, 13mm, 15mm spanner
gerri can
and a short drive shaft

usually does fine for a 400 mile round trip and a weekend racing.

paddy235
30-11-14, 08:15 PM
Wouldn't you just ring someone for a tow or help save carrying all that

jimbob-mcgrew
30-11-14, 08:17 PM
spare drive shafts ! ... i thought i was bad lol

youll never get stuck :)

therealnovaboy
30-11-14, 08:17 PM
200 miles away and ruin a weekends racing and entry fee. no

therealnovaboy
30-11-14, 08:18 PM
just the short one. the inner CV seems to be prone to catastrophicfailure.

jimbob-mcgrew
30-11-14, 08:18 PM
Wouldn't you just ring someone for a tow or help save carrying all that

ive broken down once in a no-cell area, and broke down another time, with a dead phone battery.

cant rely on anything

ste scott
30-11-14, 08:44 PM
Just buy breakdown cover a lot easier than carting all that guff about

Royston
30-11-14, 09:12 PM
Just buy breakdown cover a lot easier than carting all that guff about

The AA is your (My) friend, especially with old cars.............

Andy
30-11-14, 09:34 PM
I absolutely hammer my nova round the grass ovals and take with me-
Shafts
Rad
Oil and box oil-(atf mowgli),of course.
Brake fluid
Tyres-wets and drys
petrol
tools-sockets,spanners,screwdrivers,bars,multimeter
spare wiring like 1 metre lol
funnels
water container
jack and axle stands
gloves and babywipes nowt worse than being caked in mud and sheepsh1t (York lol)

Iain
01-12-14, 10:13 AM
I rely on RAC on the road, don't carry much, but on a trackday I go mental and fill my car right up with all sorts of random crap just incase something breaks lol

Rob H
01-12-14, 10:36 AM
If your belt snaps I wouldn't worry about fitting a new one your engine will be shagged. Bent valves and ****ed pistons don't tend to get you very far lol.

Iain
01-12-14, 10:36 AM
On interference engines yes...

Jonesfach
01-12-14, 02:26 PM
I know when changing a 1300 head gasket years ago, I sneaked the cam belt off the top pulley and after managed to sneak it back on, without any trouble.

meritlover
01-12-14, 04:54 PM
The issue is getting it off the bottom pulley.

ste scott
01-12-14, 07:02 PM
Answer to your original question is ...........NO

Could buy a battery impact gun and leave that in boot.( if there is room).

jimbob-mcgrew
01-12-14, 07:15 PM
If your belt snaps I wouldn't worry about fitting a new one your engine will be shagged. Bent valves and ****ed pistons don't tend to get you very far lol.

i didnt meantion it was for a 12ST.
the 1.2's and 1.3's are supposed to be valve safe.
i wouldnt bother if it was anything else. it would destroy itself for sure.

mowgli
01-12-14, 08:16 PM
many many years ago, i had a belt give up on my 1200 merit at about 80mph when exiting a large autobahn type road & i cogged it down into third....

it was a pain in the backside, but the nice RAC man actually had a spare & i was on my way within 1/2hr...

jimbob-mcgrew
01-12-14, 10:24 PM
many many years ago, i had a belt give up on my 1200 merit at about 80mph when exiting a large autobahn type road & i cogged it down into third....

it was a pain in the backside, but the nice RAC man actually had a spare & i was on my way within 1/2hr...

result :thumb:
can get away with murder on those 1.2's lol