PDA

View Full Version : Coil on plugs

toymex
30-11-14, 08:54 AM
Has anyone seen it done or done it themselves on a small block ,if so what coils were used and any pics
cheers
jezz

meritlover
30-11-14, 09:22 AM
What ECU and trigger are you using?

toymex
30-11-14, 09:26 AM
MBE ,just about to upgrade to the 9 a4 which I am sure my mate uses on his SBD development Duratec with COP,s,it's the mounting and what type to use that I am interested in ,I have seen on a Julian Godfrey engine they use a bike Denso COP

meritlover
30-11-14, 09:28 AM
It depends what trigger and what engine you are using.

toymex
30-11-14, 09:54 AM
Using SBD,s trigger wheel which is something like 58-2 ,engine is a small block 16 v

meritlover
30-11-14, 10:11 AM
For a small block I would bulkhead mount the coils and run leads to each plug. You can use VW coil packs but they look untidy as you cant make them look like they were made to be there. Most inline-4 strip packs are no use as theyre batch fire/wasted spark.
You wont be able to run COP with only a crank trigger as the ecu only knows where TDC of no.1 is, not what stroke its on. You will need a cam sync pulse.

Kev Turbo
01-12-14, 12:36 AM
The yaris 1.3 items are popular and pretty cheap

jeremy fisher
02-12-14, 06:52 PM
I am also curious. I was planning on doing this with Megasquirt using the VW coils on a X16XE.
I was going to run only a crank sensor and wasted spark.
Other than allowing the coil more dwell time, is there any advantage to running sequential ignition and not wasted spark?
I'm sure I read that the Z16XE coil packs work, presumably (as mentioned above) only with wasted spark though. They would obviously look OEM so would be nice.

meritlover
03-12-14, 07:23 AM
You can run more advance and more wild cams than you can with wasted spark.
But you would have to have a very high spec engine for you to notice any advantage.

Stuart
03-12-14, 11:36 AM
you can run COP as wasted spark if you wire them suitably, but its a bit of a cop ( lol ) out.