PDA

View Full Version : front hub question

-fred-
24-11-14, 10:43 AM
im currently building a nova and planning for a 2.0 8v and was jus wondering what way i work the hubs for the drive shafts, as it was originally a 1.2, any help would be greatly appricated

jimbob-mcgrew
24-11-14, 01:33 PM
a mate of mine did the conversion, and used nova gte hubs on his.

i think he used the slightly thicker gte driveshafts too, but had to change the inner c.v joints so they would fit the bigblock gearbox.

sorry thats all i can remember, it was a couple years back now, and my memorys turd, even at the best of times.

-fred-
24-11-14, 01:40 PM
awh thats a big help mate thanks, could u run a smaller gearbox on a 2.08v to suit the gte shafts so that i wouldn have to change the c.v joints??

jimbob-mcgrew
24-11-14, 01:51 PM
yeah you can.

you can use an F13 box, if you change the flywheel and clutch.

i forget which flywheel and clutch combo works.... it was a random one..... i think it was a 1.7 diesel flywheel ?

an F15 box will probably fit too with the same setup.

jimbob-mcgrew
24-11-14, 01:54 PM
if you wanted to do it on the cheap, or just as a temporary thing, you could even use your 1.2 shafts for that.

but bear in mind, there not as strong as they should be, so they may twist or snap if your giving the car a pasting lol

-fred-
24-11-14, 02:06 PM
lol no dought when im driving them 1.2 shafts wouldn last long lol iv a bit of a lead right foot lol but i have an f13 box here, were would be the best place to find out what flywheel clutch combo to use?

therealnovaboy
24-11-14, 09:52 PM
the f13 box wont last long either.

jimbob-mcgrew
25-11-14, 01:10 AM
yeah thats a good point novaboy. a 130 seh engine will be pushing that box pretty hard.

the F15 is supposed to be stronger right ?

i think even the F17 might fit the same fly and clutch, but i think the inner c.v's are also different on that box, so will need changing too.

worth taking box strength into account if your a led-foot driver, as you might find yourself chomping through gearbox's

dgbnova#1
25-11-14, 01:22 AM
the f13 box wont last long either.
My x20xev on it's f13 destroyed itself epic F up that was it's running F17 now and still uses standard nova shafts

jimbob-mcgrew
25-11-14, 08:53 AM
it's running F17 now and still uses standard nova shafts

both standard smallblock c.v ends ? .. i never thought they fitted, no ones mentioned it before... interesting.

i got rid of an F17 because i didnt think it would fit... lol, doh !

-fred-
25-11-14, 02:20 PM
My x20xev on it's f13 destroyed itself epic F up that was it's running F17 now and still uses standard nova shafts
When u say standard nova shafts what they off and what hubs u running with that?

dgbnova#1
25-11-14, 03:32 PM
It runs standard nova hubs,standard nova shafts

the penalty is
there is no cable bracket as part of the box there all mounted via the top and use hydrolic clutch cylinders in Astras and zafira a

to fit a nova it does have the standard gearbox mount holes at the front

i striped an f 13 of it's clutch arm and bearing assembly and swoped it over then a flat plate with some spacer blocks bolted to the Astra engine mount bolts on the top with a peice of tube welded on top to hold the clutch cable in place

and you have to use digital speedo and also make sure it has the black plug trigger wheel transmitter in the box we're a speedo normaly goes as some do not they run off the abs. Ideally get some cable and the plug with the transmitter/transducer the longer the better

its re a bit of messing about but it does work

Benn
25-11-14, 06:01 PM
Use Nova GTE or GSI shafts with Std nova outers and mk2 cav inners.

The inners fit the big block gear box and the std nova shaft.

I would say, if you're gonna fit a 2lt 8v. As you're already doing the work, why not fit the better 16V lump?

-fred-
26-11-14, 09:10 PM
I just thought the 8v would be handier as this is the first time Iv tried building a car and thought the red top would be too difficult for a first build, trying to learn the bits and pieces of building a nova as I go just lol

Benn
26-11-14, 09:12 PM
Its the same job.

Same wiring,
Same mounts,
Same shafts/cvs,
Same pipes and bits....

Just less power.

-fred-
26-11-14, 09:15 PM
Do u not have to modifiy the engine bay for the redtop to fit,

Benn
27-11-14, 08:26 AM
No.

Well seam weld it and make alt clearance. But same on the 8v.

jimbob-mcgrew
27-11-14, 09:13 AM
seam weld it and make alt clearance

a soldering iron and a sledge hammer lol