PDA

View Full Version : Correct In-tank Fuel Pump for C20LET conversion?

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 11:45 AM
Hi,

I am currently searching for an in-tank fuel pump to fit to my new fuel injected fuel tank that I purchased in changing from an originally carbureted engine to a fuel injected one - namely a C20LET.

Please can someone tell me whether an in-tank fuel pump from a Nova GSI would work with this conversion and fit into my injection fuel tank?

Many thanks in advance,
Tony

Johnny A
20-11-14, 02:01 PM
First up there are two types of fuel injected tank:
In-tank pump type - found on all single-point injected Novas (1.2i, maybe a 1.4i too??)
External pump type - found on all multi-point injected Novas (1.4 SRi, 1.6 GTE and GSi)

The pump on the internal type tank can just about handle a 150bhp XE but that's it, whereas the external type pump used on the Novas was the same Bosch pump found on the cavs, calibras etc... (this includes the turbo) that ran external pumps. This 'big block' pump can safely IMO be taken a 280bhp on forced injection (LET) and a bit more N/A.

In your case if you're on a budget you could lift an internal pump from a Vauxhall that had a big engine from the factory (late calibras had them, all Astra Mk4's had them), but it would need some fiddling to fit

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 02:21 PM
Almost as Johnny says but I had a c20xe recent and it struggled to run on spi pump (single point injection)

the nova Sri did run in tank pumps but there so rare

swopped it to a Cav Gsi In tank Pump (Calibra Astra3 and 4 other cavs also had them as long as it's multi point injection it will do) that needed modding to make it shorter and it was all good then

Nobby
20-11-14, 02:36 PM
My C20LET runs on a stock mk3 Astra 1.6 16v MPI in tank pump £15 from the scrappy lol

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 03:23 PM
Did that just bolt straight in Nobby could be the Case the Cav pump was massive and totally different casting and the pump itself needed 20 mm trimming between the flex pipe and the filter pipe inside the tank

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 03:31 PM
First up there are two types of fuel injected tank:
In-tank pump type - found on all single-point injected Novas (1.2i, maybe a 1.4i too??)
External pump type - found on all multi-point injected Novas (1.4 SRi, 1.6 GTE and GSi)

The pump on the internal type tank can just about handle a 150bhp XE but that's it, whereas the external type pump used on the Novas was the same Bosch pump found on the cavs, calibras etc... (this includes the turbo) that ran external pumps. This 'big block' pump can safely IMO be taken a 280bhp on forced injection (LET) and a bit more N/A.

In your case if you're on a budget you could lift an internal pump from a Vauxhall that had a big engine from the factory (late calibras had them, all Astra Mk4's had them), but it would need some fiddling to fit

Thanks for the response. So, to make sure I am understanding you correctly, MPI Novas - that is: SRI, GTE, and GSI models - only run external fuel pumps, and not in-tank fuel pumps; whereas SPI Novas (1.2i and 1.4i?) only run off an in-tank fuel pump?

I just purchased an in-tank fuel pump off eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-Cavalier-Astra-Nova-Corsa-Mk2-1985-Electric-Fuel-Pump-1-2L-1-8L-/140912130103, as it is listed in 'Fitment' under the 'Description' section as fitting (among other fuel injected models) Vauxhall Nova GSI.

So, is what you're saying not that MPI Novas don't have in-tank fuel pumps, but rather they do and that the Nova GSI, GTE and SRI in-tank fuel pump is not robust/powerful enough to cope with the LET, and that I should purchase instead one for an Astra Mk4 and modify it?

I'm not on a budget; I just want to buy the correct parts in order to correctly fit and pair the MPI fuel tank to the LET engine.

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 04:30 PM
Well that's not a nova pump for start nova ones bolt in and at a guess looking at the models that's single point injection pump as the do single point from 1.8 - 1.2

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 04:38 PM
Well that's not a nova pump for start nova ones bolt in and at a guess looking at the models that's single point injection pump as the do single point from 1.8 - 1.2

Is really confusing, as why does it list a GSI in the fitment section? Unless, of course, there was a GSI model that came with SPI.. but seems unlikely. Also not sure whether the item depicted in the image is the actual item listed, as is often the case.

What about this in-tank fuel pump: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FUEL-Vauxhall-Astra-Cavalier-Corsa/dp/B00K3KY7YC

Johnny A
20-11-14, 04:47 PM
Although these ebay pictures are usually generic I would agree with Dgb and say it is the wrong one, these listings are usually horrendously wrong and seem to be guesses mostly.

In your situation i'd get a second hand fuel pump out of an internal pumped tank from a big engined car and make it fit

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 04:47 PM
Cannot really advise on that one as no destripton but if that's the price find your self a welbro pump

Johnny A
20-11-14, 04:48 PM
What about this in-tank fuel pump: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FUEL-Vauxhall-Astra-Cavalier-Corsa/dp/B00K3KY7YC

Are you trying to find the most expensive tat out there? ;)

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 04:51 PM
Yes exactly what Johnny said or
get the part number to suit

the only nova I know with mpi in tank pump is the Sri

Gsi and Gte were external

have you got an in tank pump now at all as yours is new is that correct ?

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 05:01 PM
Genuine 'LOL'. I hate these bloody cars! Found this (http://www.partsbase.org/parts/gen-90354470/) which I think is the correct part No. and diagram, but looking unlikely to get my mittens on one, as is no longer available through Vauxhall nor anywhere I have searched online. Ex-in-tank fuel pump off a big b(ol)locked engine is looking like my only option here. Dunfermline Chainsaw Massacre here we come lol

Cheers for all the responses, appreciate it!

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 05:05 PM
Right easy way to sort this
Find an spi pump I have about 3 here
pull the pump out and find a Cav 3 or similar breaking swop the pump from the Cav into the nova caseing job done

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 05:08 PM
Yes exactly what Johnny said or
get the part number to suit

the only nova I know with mpi in tank pump is the Sri

Gsi and Gte were external

have you got an in tank pump now at all as yours is new is that correct ?

Makes sense that the SRI had an MPI in-tank pump, as my last Nova was an SRI and didn't have to change anything on my fuel tank when I fitted an LET. The only in-tank pump I have is in my old fuel tank that I removed from the old girl before restoring her back to her former glory, which will be no good for the new tank that I bought.

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 05:13 PM
Right easy way to sort this
Find an spi pump I have about 3 here
pull the pump out and find a Cav 3 or similar breaking swop the pump from the Cav into the nova caseing job done

I have just bought that pump off eBay that I gave the link to below. Will that do? Or will I cancel the order and buy one of yours off you for cheaper? Then it is just a matter of finding a Cav 3 or similar and swaping the pumps around.

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 05:22 PM
If it's not rusty it's as good as you your gona get I think just remove it clean it and swop out the pump

If you want new then remove it and find part numbers off of it i

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 05:25 PM
My pump case is the same as the one you have it's used so if yours is good just use that

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 05:38 PM
If it's not rusty it's as good as you your gona get I think just remove it clean it and swop out the pump

If you want new then remove it and find part numbers off of it i

Thanks! Glad someone's brain is working :thumb:

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 05:56 PM
My pump case is the same as the one you have it's used so if yours is good just use that

Would this do the job? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CAVALIER-MK3-1995-2-0-SRi-16V-Petrol-FUEL-PUMP-SENDER-0000214152-/271457762765?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f3424bdcd

I can buy the pump itself for 18.99, so if it is only the pump that I need, then I will just go for that. The only problem I have, then, is bolting the metal cap onto the tank that I have..? Will need to check to see if the metal cap on my old fuel tank screws or bolts on.

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 06:46 PM
All in tank nova pumps bolt in so no problems there

Yes the pump inside there fitted to you nova caseing will work fine

strip the Cav pump out and measure the height of the nova pump from the bottom of the filter to a fixed point on the top part then when you swop the pumps out you need to make sure the overall height of the pump is the same as the Cav pump is 25 mm longer

if you do not do this ^ the pump will be to long and when you bolt it up you will just close the hole at the bottom of the pump and no fuel will be pumped out this is not good
so take your time it's possable to do but a little fiddly

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 07:37 PM
So, what you're saying is that when fitting the Cav pump to the Nova casing, I need to make sure there is the same amount of clearance as there was before I removed the Nova pump by shortening the hose that feeds fuel out from the top of the pump to the valve on the metal lid by 25 mm (or whatever the difference in height is between the two), yes?

dgbnova#1
20-11-14, 08:05 PM
Yes think you can reduce 19 mm from the top basically pump to top outlet pipe with no gap and then the bottom can be trimmed a little only need enough for the filter to sit back on but check the measurements

Nobby
20-11-14, 08:14 PM
Did that just bolt straight in Nobby could be the Case the Cav pump was massive and totally different casting and the pump itself needed 20 mm trimming between the flex pipe and the filter pipe inside the tank

Yes mate straight in!

HouseAtreides
20-11-14, 08:48 PM
Yes think you can reduce 19 mm from the top basically pump to top outlet pipe with no gap and then the bottom can be trimmed a little only need enough for the filter to sit back on but check the measurements

:thumb: