PDA

View Full Version : Outside Car Cover, Yes or No?

paul080803
19-11-14, 11:55 AM
As title really, should I get a car cover for the outside?

It is a hatch, 25k miles from new and the paint is pretty much spot on (not show condition but nowhere near needing painting). I am worried about causing more damage with a cover on.

What are peoples views? And any recomendations on makes of covers?

I also have a saloon with crap paintwork. So if anyone has a recomendation on a cover that fits a saloon that would be helpful.

jeremy fisher
19-11-14, 12:12 PM
No answer as such, but if you do go for a cover, make sure its water resistant and breathable rather than water proof. Don't want moisture trapped beneath it.
I had mine under a cover outside for a while and it marked the paint where the ties were holding it on, from moving around in the wind and causing abrasion.

jimbob-mcgrew
19-11-14, 12:13 PM
ive used a couple cheap ones, and from what i can tell.... if there a loose fit, so that air can get underneath, then they work well.

if there a tight fight, that restricts air flow.... condensation builds up underneath, and it never seems to go away unless its dry for an extended period of time.

Scottcooper85
19-11-14, 12:23 PM
I've got one of the all weather halfords ones their around the £50 mark. Their nice and soft and breathable, but mines now under a car port too. Plan is to take the cover off every time it's dry weather and let everything breath and dry out properly, hopefully a couple of times a week.

8valve-craig
19-11-14, 12:57 PM
Paul i have one of the £50 Halfords ones here that you can try out if you like. All of my cars are kept indoors now so its not needed, but i used to keep it covering my Astra in the yard. Hard to say how well it works as i never monitored it, the paint is crap anyway. You are more than welcome to take it away for a few weeks if it helps you make a decision.

Novasport
19-11-14, 02:22 PM
I have had the Swing and SR both covered. I use ebay ones and just double cover the car. I have a water resistant breathable cover on the bottom and a waterproof breathable one on top. I tuck the cover under the arches and use small ratchet type straps to hold it down.
Never had any moisture under the lower cover and they don't seem to mark the paintwork. I just removed my gutters trims to stop the covers catching the ends and breaking them

jimbob-mcgrew
19-11-14, 02:34 PM
ive seen these crazy drive-in igloo type tent things you can get too, which look like air-tight baloons almost, that probably work well.

more of a long time storage thing tho, i think, as it would probably be a pain in the ass to use on and off repeatedly

tommy8252
19-11-14, 08:18 PM
I got 2 medium sized ones from Aldington a few weeks ago. Tucked my saloon and my hutch cabby under them and not had any issues. They're loose fitting and strap under the car with elasticated ends that tuck under the car. Cheap as chips and do the job until I move them to garages next month.

Edit: here's a crappy pic

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/tommy8252/nova%20cabby/20141108_180221_zpskm55ijja.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/tommy8252/media/nova%20cabby/20141108_180221_zpskm55ijja.jpg.html)